1980Z redneck-touring vortec/6spd

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by woody80z28, Feb 22, 2008.

1. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    I hear ya! I took mine apart 8 years ago!

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

And they busted my balls because it took me 18 months to "change a clutch" lol

3. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Quick update tonight.

Was looking at Weiand oil pans on sale for the HolleyDays, but it looks like the sump was too long to fit the crossmember. So I went to Canton and found the part # I needed (15-244 for a third gen). Got a smokin ebay deal on an "open box display" special - or so I thought. It's $368 at Summit and they had it listed for 339, so I did a "make offer" of 275. When it was instantly accepted I though "damn, should have offered lower". It came in and it has a $200 sticker on it. D'oh! Still good insurance I figure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look, it does spend 1% of the time on jack stands!
    [​IMG]

Almost forgot I had to pull the axles and lathe them to clear the Corvette 13.4 rotors, so I got that done at work real quick.
    [​IMG]

When I was dropping the axles back in though I noticed the spider gears looked ugly, and the ring gear isn't what I'd call beautiful. How does it look to you guys? I almost remember the rear seeming a little loud...but that's so long ago I can't recall for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    According to this thread it's been a year and a half that my body guy has been saying "in a month or two". Even I didn't realize it was that long...been keeping busy with the Beretta. I haven't even touched this car in forever. Good to be back on it.

BonzoHansen likes this.
  5. BonzoHansen

Those spiders look like crap to me. maybe post the pics in the driveline section and see what BGH says

6. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    What's strange is it's only the driver side spider on one side. The back side of those teeth and both sides of all the others look OK.

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Looks like something made it's way through there and got chewed up. Hey I think you will like that Canton pan. Mine is really close to the engine crossmember...but it clears. The hard brake line that runs along the crossmember may need to be tweeked to make some insurance room.
    [​IMG]

The oil filter clearance sure is nice though, I've seen how tight the filter is when using other trap door pans.
    edit: Oh I see you used a 3rd gen pan, mine is for a Corvette and the wings look different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  8. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    You got the 12" sump version. And it fit?!?? I measured the pan on mine and it was 9" sump and had only an inch or so of clearance. And I remember it was a bitch to drop in the subframe. I can't believe it fit.

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I have solid engine mounts and I can barely fit a business card between the pan and the engine cross member. I have rough 2500 miles on it and it doesn't rub...I would think that rubber engine mounts may give it enough room to hit or rub.

10. BonzoHansen

I'm using a more standard sized Canton pan. I've had no problems with oil on autocross.