1981 Camaro Windshield Wiper Problems

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by riderwestslope, May 3, 2019.

1. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Trying to button up a last few things on my car, a 1981 Z28. This car has the intermittent and hideaway windshield wipers. I have managed to fix my clearance issues with the hood, but am now finding the intermittent function does not seem to work, and when I turn the windshield wipers on they will not turn off unless I turn off the ignition and wait for about four seconds. When I turn the ignition back on, the wipers will park and stay stopped. Has anybody run into this or have any advice as to where I should start looking to correct this issue? I've searched through the forum and have not had much luck coming up with anything. I'm more concerned with the wipers not turning off then I am with the intermittent function at this point. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The failure to stop is a very common problem with the delay wiper system. Usually it is a failure of the park relay inside the wiper motor. It has been discussed here many times on this board. Try a search for "park relay" in the wiper motor.
    The failure of the intermittent function could be either the circuit board in the wiper motor or the rheostat in the switch. The electronics is probably the first thing to check as electronics is never as reliable as mechanical parts.

riderwestslope likes this.
  3. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Thanks Gary, I think you got me on the right track.