1981 Z28 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by chuck13, Apr 18, 2019.

1. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

Ok guys and gals,after lurking here for about 3 years I'm finally a 2nd gen owner.I did have a 1978 Trans Am about 30 years ago,and still own several 3rd gen cars.Also had a couple of 4th gen TA's.But never a 2nd gen Camaro til now.This car is mostly complete,sans engine and trans.Originally a 350 auto,it now has a locked up 305 2 barrel,and I'm assuming a TH350(haven't crawled under to look yet).It's a T top car which is the main reason I bought it.Yes I know all the cons of a T top but still...Anyway the car is pretty rough and is going to need LOTS of work.I have a fairly stout 406 sbc I intend to bolt in,but everything else is still lacking.The interior looks like a goat has been living in it,but actually mice and rats have been dwelling there.I'll be asking a lot of questions along the way as well as seeking advice on what to do to this ahem,fine car.Let's see if i can post some pics....Well shoot,thought it took more pics than that.Have to take some more! 20190414_145805.jpg 20190414_145826.jpg 20190417_094834.jpg

riderwestslope likes this.
  2. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

More pics... 20190418_163426.jpg 20190418_163426.jpg

Attached Files:

3. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Welcome! Looks like a good project. I'm kind of partial to 81 Z28s. Before you dive into it too much I would double and triple check the critical areas underneath to make sure there's enough good metal there to work with. Look at the frame rails, subframe mount areas, etc. When these poor cars sit on their bellies for long periods of time they become very susceptible to cancer. Would hate to see you spend lots of hours getting underway to find out there was something largely unrepairable lurking somewhere. Otherwise, the outer shell looks pretty darn clean all things considered.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  4. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

Thanks for the reply,I do have a habit of going overboard with my projects.I'm trying to dial it back with this one and not go quite so crazy.As you can see from the picture above the passenger side floor is toast,and I won't be surprised if the driver's side is too.But the rockers look ok,so far anyway,and the rear frame rails appear to be solid.I plan to pull the subframe once the motor and tranny are out and check on it.The core support mounts a sketchy so I'm going to check the core support in the '78 donor car,see if it's any better.Progress so far....Also fiddled with the passenger side door hinges,got the door closing much better.Still gotta rebuild the hinges... 20190422_153459.jpg

riderwestslope likes this.
  5. 73rsltz

73rsltz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome love the gold!!

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

How is the trunk floor as well .And what are you plans for the car.There are all sorts of ways to do so.So well can help you.Even on the more extreme ways if you look the gallery .Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

7. M Patrick

M Patrick New Member

Good looking project, look forward to seeing it come together!

8. GAG

GAG New Member

I have a 1981 Z28 that I bought used in 1983. I kept the car stock except for ac condenser, swapped out the radiator with with same side tanks but added an extra core, and naturally gave up on putting a flat pancake catalytic converter on it. Oh yea, some jerk stole me gas cap so that is changed out. My car needs to be restored and will give me something to do when I retire. For now, it gives me great

9. GAG

GAG New Member

Great joy since it ticks off my wife taking up our garage space. Any rate, if you need any reference shots as you do your rebuild, I will be happy to provide.

10. GAG

GAG New Member

By the way, mine is same color as yours. I think it was originally a Pontiac color. The only bad thing about the vehicle is that it was the first year that had the computer command control modules. Really dogged the car out. Your state might not care if you dump in a different motor but the EPA compliance stuff might bite you.