1981 Z28 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by chuck13, Apr 18, 2019.

1. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

I tried to dial it back with mine too. That went to hell real quick. I found each part was attached to something else, and before I knew it it was in a pile of parts. Five years and a new everything later, it's finally pretty much done. Having been through my 81 from top to bottom, if you get any weird questions or maybe need some suggestions hit me up. I have some of my OEM stuff still laying around too, not a bunch, but some, if you need something.

2. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

Crap,hadn't realized it's been 3 months since I posted here,life really does get in the way sometimes!No progress on the car,haven't really been able to do anything.I have chronic back pain,with three surgeries to show for it but no real improvement in the pain level.So monthly trips to pain management and daily doses of opiods are my life.And now it looks like i might be looking at surgery on my neck...Sorry didn't mean to go down that road,No looking for sympathy or anything,it's my burden and I'll carry it as best I can!
    I've got a yard full of treated lumber and sheet metal!Had a pad 'constructed' and am awaiting a call from the builders letting me know they're on the way.Gonna be a 30x40 'pole barn' type building,two 10x10 roll up doors and 6 inches of concrete,fully insulated.To say I'm excited doesn't begin to tell it!Maybe in a couple of months I'll be able to show some progress on this turd of a car.Right now I'm just buying some chassis stuff,and I think that all the polyurethane bushing for the car are here,including the motor mounts.Bought the full kit from Prothane and am pretty pleased with it.Bought a set of Kumho Solus TA11 225 70 15 tires to mount on the N90 wheels,along with new lug nut and center caps.Gotta clean up the wheels and paint them before I mount the tire first,and can't say when that will be.
    Sorry GAG I didn't see your post.But no,emission testing around hereis unheard of.Some of the parishes down south DO have yearly testing,but I don't know exactly what year models or what is entailed in the test.I'm just going back with a SBC(406 with flat tops, a mild cam,some minor head work,roller rockers etc)and plan to rebuild the existing TH350 trans.I don't know what gears are in the diff,suppose I'll find out when the time comes.
    Pretty much done huh Riderwestslope?Yeah I've been there before too,done except for,oh maybe different wheels,or I really want a new exhaust,or did you hear Bill's new stereo?......My problem is if I really DO ever finish a project then I get bored with it and start looking for something new to play with.Probably not going to an issue with this car because it'll most likely never be finished....
    Gonna try to post some pics of the pile of material in my yard,just in case any one want to see what $23,000 of lumber sheet metal doors and insulation looks like....

3. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

A little update but a BIG DEAL!MY SHOP IS COMPLETED!Almost anyway,still waiting to have the power connected,Hopefully by next week.If you've never seen one of these "post buildings" being put up it's pretty amazing.I was expecting an army of people to build it,but it was three Mexican guys(And I don't mean any offense the any one of Mexican descent),Isaac and two other men.And they busted butt!Started at noon Thursday and were finished about noon Saturday.Awesome!Very polite,quiet and professional.And what really blew my mind was apart from a power auger and a chainsaw they did everything by hand.No cherry picker or manlifts.
    So,pics.The first one is end of day Thursday,right around 2000 hrs.The second one is Friday just about the same time,and then Saturday. 20190711_195209[1].jpg 20190712_110741[1].jpg 20190713_103310[1].jpg

roadrace2 likes this.
  4. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

And a couple of shots of the interior.my poor old ratty car.The new DeWalt air compressor the wife bought me.And the dirty 400 SBC thats going in the car. 20190806_133716[1].jpg 20190806_133735[1].jpg 20190806_153331[1].jpg