1999 Dodge Ram Random Cylinder Misfire

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by TDPalmer, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On my '99 dodge ram my check engine light has been coming on recently. When I read it with a code I get a "Random Cylinder Misfire" or a "Cylinder 1 Misfire". I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor twice myself, and the last time I had a shop do it. The light will stay off for about 3 weeks after each one. Something else that happens is sometimes when I go to start my truck it will die as soon as it cranks over the first time. But it will always start the second time.

I'm wondering if the computer or something could be going bad. The truck was originally a 318 truck but I swapped a new mopar 360 crate engine into it.

Anyone ever have this problem?

2. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

I have had a similar problem, but not on a Dodge, it was on my chevy 3.1L. Codes would come up random misfire, or cylinder 4 misfire. So like yourself I changed the plugs and wires. Problem was intermittent, and would go away after the "tune-up". After a few weeks sometimes, months, the problem would come back. New plugs, the problem would seem to go away. I finally threw parts at it until it was solved. It turned out that the ignition module was bad. If I were you I would try to find a similar truck in a wrecking yard and pull all the ignition stuff to try to do the shotgun approach to troubleshooting on the cheap side.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Checked for vacuum leaks?

4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When you did the swap did you change the flywheel to a 360 unit? I seem to remember one of my customers doing the same engine swap in the past and had the same problem.

5. TDPalmer

I tried to check for vacuum leaks using a unlit torch and the engine did not speed up, the engine runs great and doesn't lag or bog down at all.

The Chrysler place that did the swap told me I needed a 360 torque converter or a flywheel with weights on it. I went the torque converter route. To my knowledge they did not reflash the computer

I'll try to check into the ignition control module also.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Should not have to run anything different computer wise. Converter or weighted flex plate yes.

Probably should have it on a scan tool (not cheapie code reader) and see what and when it's misfiring. Could be bad ignition module, bad distributor, or other sensor like crank position which are common on those. Is it a rich misfire or lean misfire? Could also point to injectors either sticking open or shut, or as often as it is mentioned lol an O2 sensor reading poorly causing the computer to under fuel it. Temp sensor can cause same thing.

7. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Had the same issue you are having a few years ago on my 01 Ram w/360 motor. I did all the same things you did but the problem kept coming back. Eventually took it to the dealership for them to run their diagnostics on and everything and to make a long story short, it turned out to be a sticking valve due to a recessed valve seat.and eventually ended up having to replace the heads.

8. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

inb4 Aceshigh

Bring this up on dodgetalk.com, good guys.

9. nicks78camaro

nicks78camaro Veteran Member

Just had something like this in the shop, always was hard to start when cold, but once it was started it ran fantastically.

Trned out to be the ASD (automatic shutdown relay) connection in the fusebox was bad. When that connection is bad, the communication between the oxygen sensors, the fuel injectors, and ignition coils is interrupted. Swapped in a new relay with dielectric grease on it, fixed the problem.

Vehicle was a 2001 Ram 1500 360ci auto 4x4

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  10. TDPalmer

Was the relay corroded or anything that led you to believe its bad? I checked my ASD relay and the prongs were still shiny on it.