1LE rotor swap

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Jeep43, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I did some searching and still have questions. I'm disappointed with my stock size front disks with cross drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I am interested in upsizing my rotors to 12's but have a couple question that I still have after reading the sticky's.

As I understand It I can use my current calipers and pads on the new spindle/rotor assembly. Is this correct? I did read about D61 calipers/pads but this seemed optional or a later upgrade.

Will the 1LE rotor and stock caliper setup fit inside of a stock steel 5 spoke 15x7?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Correct, larger rotor but you can use the stock caliper. It should fit in a 15” wheel with the stock caliper. If you use the Wilwood caliper it may or may not. They did not fit in my 15” turbines. People have had success with the steel spoke wheel.

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

the problem now might be finding a decent set of spindles, since you can't buy them new, you have to get them out of a yard

4. badazz81z28

I remember buying mine new off GM parts direct. They do pop up here in the swap meet often.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Somebody on ebay has a bunch of NOS 18016024 & 18016023 spindles for $58 each shipped.

6. badazz81z28

For that price, I want to buy a pair

dave@ztech likes this.
  7. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

FWIW...I did the 1LE upgrade on my car with Hawk HPS pads...and hated it. I swapped a ton of parts without finding a solution. Then I read that the HPS pads themselves don't have a good pedal feel. They're spongy without adequate "initial bite". Google "hawk hps initial bite" and there are links all over.

I have not been able to confirm the pads as the problem because my car isnt driving...but the pads are about the only thing I didn't replace while troubleshooting. I ended up going C6 Z51 with GG rated pads from Advance.

A quick change of pads might make you happy. Get some GG friction rated D51s to try out?

8. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I started with Powerstop Z26 Extreme pads which I had luck with on a different car (larger disks) and wasn't impressed. The HPS are better but still lacking. I don't see the downside to the swap so I am going for it but will keep the pad note in mind.

9. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I've used the PowerStop Z/26 Rotors and Pads on two cars so far and have been pretty satisfied with their performance.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Does Hawk make the DTC-30 "street-race" pads for your application? I have used both the HPS and HP+ pads and were happy with there performance (no cross drill).

Perhaps try the same rotor size & specs without the cross drilled holes and new pads, that may help out.