1LE spindles

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 79T/Aman, Aug 27, 2019.

1. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

new 12 in spindle.jpg

Development and testing has been finished, manufacturing procedures are being finalized on the new 12" spindles, there will be some different variants available one variant will be exclusive to PTFB aimed at autoX and improved street.
    At this juncture I can not go into the details of the improvements but as soon as I can I will reveal the improvements.
    Basic lay out:
    -Direct replacement for the stock F-body or B-body spindle.
    -Stock Set 6 and Set 3 bearings as well as stock seals, this is and up grade for those that have 70-78 spindles.
    -cast steel construction, equal or stronger than the original GM.
    -Billet steel spindle pin.
    -In time there will be different/ larger bearings available.
    -Accept GM D-52 calipers.
    -Will be available "ready for after market brake kits"

Also in development.
    Severe duty racing rotors, more on this later as development progresses ;-)

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:)
    cool

3. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Curious to know if tall ball joints and different upper control arms are still necessary with this spindle?

cadillac_al likes this.
  4. 79T/Aman

yes, these spindles are stock height.
    Tall ball joints effectively lengthen the spindle height.
    Upper control arms and spindles only need to match based on KPIA
    There is a lot of confusion out there because some suppliers misleading descriptions, such as.
    "tall" 2nd gen spindles...no such thing.
    Control arms that improve geometry, no they don't, at least static geometry.
    Must use our control arms with our spindles, yes because they have a different KPIA (they don't tell you that)

Some may ask why tall versions were not made, the reason is that the market of F-bodys is too small to invest in a special spindle that would be cost effective.
    We had to team up with racing manufactures that make parts that have to meet racing rules but build in the ability to machine in improvements that can't be done to GM parts.

berg2695 likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I didn't know the b-body spindle mod was still a big thing enough to come out with an aftermarket spindle. I know there are plenty of big brake kits out that work on modified factory spindles, but I know that cost money for folks who don't have the tools and means. I guess the price point is important here. What will they cost?

6. 79T/Aman

No set price has yet been made definitive but they will be very fordable.
    The brake improvement is only but one part of the improvements and the ability to install any aftermarket break kit does not change.
    As I mentioned in the original post more info will be released when I can do that, there are other entities involved.

7. 79T/Aman

just got off the phone with the manufacturer.
    Some great news, things are moving ahead of schedule and we should see parts in the next 30-45 days.
    The raw cast steel knuckle is produced in Asia, all machining and the steel billet spindle pin is machined in the USA by a very reputable company that has supplied racing parts to the racing world for over 35 years.
    Tensile strength testing show a 20% improvement over stock GM spindles.

We will be able to offer these spindles at $389.00 per pair.

PTFB will have their own proprietary versions of the spindles with improved performance oriented features and 2 versions are planed.

1st version, 10* KPIA (same as stock 2nd gen spindles).
    -Stock upper and lower ball joint.
    -Improved Akarman, especially beneficial for autoX and pro-touring cars.
    -Shortened steering arm to increase the steering speed and response without changing the steering gear ratio.
    -Larger ball joint holes option available upon request.

2nd version, 8* KPIA ( similar to G-body/S-10 )
    other features and options are the same as the 1st version.
    This can also be used on the 2nd gens however it will increase the front track width by about 3/16" per side and with proper wheel back spacing the scrub radius will not significantly be altered but the resulting ability to run less positive caster setting will reduce jacking effect and make the springs and sway bar more effective.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. 79T/Aman

a little more stream lined info.

NEW Spindles are going ahead of schedule, machining should start in about a week to 10 days.
    • 100% new casting.
    • Billet steel pin.
    • 20% stronger than GM units.
    • Better Akarman.
    • 5% faster steering.
    • Uses GM 12" rotor locally available.
    • Available for floating D52 style caliper.
    • Also available for fixed racing calipers.
    • available in 10* or 8* KPIA
    • PRICE $389.00/pair.

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What is KPIA? I'm guessing king pin inclination angle?

10. 79T/Aman

you are correct.