1st gen Rotisserie questions

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by flowjoe, Feb 24, 2012.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I already posted up on Team Camaro but you guys are usually faster to respond.:bowtie:

I have a Roto 2000 Rotisserie. I have a '69 Camaro Convertible body shell (no sub frame, mechanicals, suspension, interior or windshield - does have doors, regulators and door/1/4 glass and top frame).

Can I get away with just leaving the doors shut and latched or am I going to have to brace the doors?

2. Matt's 73 z

Matt's 73 z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You absolutely need to brace the car before putting it on the rotisserie. If it was a SOLID hard top you could get away without bracing but a convert needs to be braced with or without doors.

I have to ask, what are you planing to do on the roto with the doors on?

3. flowjoe

I already own the rotisserie and need to thoroughly clean and paint the bottom of the vert (which is stripped down) - lot easier than lying on your back:D...I also have two rear foot well floor patches that were done from the top and need to be cleaned up on the bottom side. I know convertibles lack structural integrity but was hoping the minimal-ness of the car (as it currently sits) might negate that - crap I don't have any bracing and I was not going to remove the doors.

4. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Friend of mine just put his Gto on a rotisserie and he want to home depot and bought a length of Steel black pipe to weld in for bracing. Works well and won't break the bank. I think it was 1" pipe.

5. Matt's 73 z

It doesn't take much to brace the car. Just some light square tubing tack welded from the front of the door jamb to the back of the door jamb should do the job if the car is solid. It's cheap insurance and much better than relying on the door strikers and latch to hold everything in square.

6. flowjoe

dash and firewall are already painted. I need to watch welding and grinding up there. Everything from the doors back has been patched, epoxied, filled and high build primered ready for blocking.

Maybe I can go from top of 1/4 to inner rocker at lower front of door jamb to stay away from the dash. Think I can do it with doors in?

BTW - 44 views no replies on Team Camaro - see what I tell ya?;)

7. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

weld in the braces, then reshoot and prime the areas after your done. It will be much easier than fixing a warped car!!! I am having to redo some stuff on my car as I did not do stuff in the proper order or found stuff later. Much easier to know what you are going to need to do than take a chance on the unknown IMO.

Good Luck!

8. flowjoe

Well the thing is that it's a long term project with a friend. We did the sub-frame and set it aside then did the firewall and dash and masked them off with plastic so we could tackle the quarters. this was like 4 years ago.

I was given the rotisserie as a father's day gift from my girls for working on the '70 and the '71. It dawned on me a year or two ago that I could throw the convert on the rotisserie and not have to lie on my back to clean and paint.

Redoing the dash is not really an option - it looks too nice now and I don't want to try and bend the paint. I'll just have to protect it really well from welding sparks and grinder spew.

9. Matt's 73 z

That would work fine. Or you could go from door jamb up to the windshield pilars.

10. flowjoe

I like that idea - easier to get to and easier to protect dash.