2 Wires Coming From Points Distributor?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by pinnacleauto, Jun 14, 2018.

1. pinnacleauto

pinnacleauto New Member

May 1, 2018
    Hi, while putting in a new engine on my 73' Camaro my mechanic had to convert or modify my points distributor and now there is a black and red wire coming out of it. I took of the cap and it seems that these two wires go to the same terminal. All the videos I have seen for wiring the distributor to the coil, have only had a black(-) wire coming out of it and onto the (-) terminal of the coil. I've tried starting the engine today and it would not start, only crank continuously.

Now my question is, are these two wires negative since they are coming out of the same terminal or is it (+) and (-) and that red wire is just their to close the circuit? Should i just connect the black(-) wire to the negative side of the coil and just tape off the red(+) wire and let it just dangle their or cut it off? I do not understand why he would have two wires coming out of the distributor.

thank you for any help!

2. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I wonder if the red out of the distributor goes to the positive side of the coil and the black goes to the negative side of the coil and then you would still need the cranking 12V and reduced run power to the coil on it's positive post.

Jim

3. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

2F1B5D42-E9B8-407A-A364-B7E08B44E0EE.png 1EB618B1-9B9D-45B6-AA31-831D7911FEE8.png Are using the STOCK points distributor?
    What kind of modifacation the mechanic did?
    This is my 74 points distributor, one wire from points terminal to - coil side, other is to inside dist filter cap(red)

pinnacleauto likes this.
  4. pinnacleauto

pinnacleauto New Member

May 1, 2018
  5. pinnacleauto

pinnacleauto New Member

May 1, 2018
    Also when my mechanic turned it on by hot wiring, it ran beautifully. So I’m not sure if the red wire was in the coil.

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Did you actually check for spark? Pull the coil wire out of the center of the dist. cap, plug in a spark plug there. Lay the plug on a good ground point and hit the starter. Should see some strong sparking at the plug gap.

7. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

Look like you have a pointless distributor. if this is the case; RED wire to POSITIVE(+) coil side, should be two(2) cables on POSITIVE side, one from dist. and the other one coming from ignition switch. BLACK wire from dist to NEGATIVE(-) coil side.

8. pinnacleauto

pinnacleauto New Member

May 1, 2018
    Hey Tom, I checked for spark and it seemed pretty weak, battery was fully charged.

9. pinnacleauto

pinnacleauto New Member

May 1, 2018
    For being an HEI distributor, it does not have the coil on top of the distributor cap like all the other HEI distributors I have seen. It has a regular style cap and the coil is mounted on to the intake manifold.

10. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2003
    belvidere illinois usa
    you should take a brass feeler gauge and check your air gap it may have moved and your getting a weak signal , you will have to check with manufacture for air gap