2002 Z28 Engine Light On

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chris8, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Chris8

Chris8 Member

Hi,
    I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 with 28000 miles LS1 engine. The Check engine light is on. Autozone says it a catalytic converter emissions code 43 or 430...I cant remember exactly. I have been using 87 octane gas. The Autozone guy recommends 93 octane and periodic Lucas injector treatment.
    Do you think I have to burn 93 octane every tankful or what? All other gauges look good including oil pressure and temperature along with no other symptoms at all. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Chris

2. fbodyfreak

fbodyfreak Veteran Member

I wouldnt think so... sometimes emmissions codes can be caused by an EVAP problem, the gas tank venting/pressure system. Have you started your car with the gas cap loose lately? This could trigger it. Just an idea. Fuel should have nothing to do with it, IMHO.

3. Chris8

Chris8 Member

Maybe you are right?

The very first time the light came on, the code actually read loose gas cap. I wonder if the original factory gas cap isnt sealing tight enough or something?
    Thanks for the reply!
    Chris

4. fbodyfreak

fbodyfreak Veteran Member

No prob! you can check the caps seal with a "smoker" most competent auto repair shops will have one. there is an EVAP diagnostic port under your hood, it has a green cap on it about the size of the caps on your air conditioner service ports. You can run smoke through this and it will show if there is a leak. You may also wanna check the modules in the EVAP system. Just a thought. Oh, have you cleared the codes since they first showed up? The problem is recurring? just checkin. Hope this is some help. Also, I would have someone from GM scan it instead of AutoZone, they should be able to give you a better starting point.

5. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

If the gas cap isn't sealing, the one they sell you at autozone won't fit. At least the one I bought there didn't. I had to pull the gasket of the new one and stick it on the old one for my 98.

Post the actual code # or look it up on the LS1 boards.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

My buddy's '02 Pontiac Trans AM (same engine as yours) actually says on the fuel door that premium unleaded full must be used. The catalytic converters on a lot of the LS1 cars have given trouble. Do you have any kind of warranty left?

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Might be a good idea to get out the manual and read up on the emissions warranty. Some of these parts are guaranteed for a longer period than the basic warranty. Lots of voodoo electronics on these cars, hard to pinpoint the actual trouble without the dealer tech tool scanner.

8. Bob78

Bob78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 99SS check engine light was coming on, replaced the gas cap, didn't solve the problem, a few days later the car wouldn't start. A new battery took care of all of it.

9. duece-bigalo01

duece-bigalo01 Veteran Member

yes you really should run the 93 octane in it. I have a 01 SS but if the cats are shot then you should go to the dealer as long as the car doesnt have over 80000 miles or so on it. they have to replace the cats at no charge to you. But you should really run atleast 91 in it. Its got 10.19:1 comp. The knock retard is pulling all the timing out. Run a couple of tanks of 93 thru it and you'll see a difference in the car. The price difference per tank for 87 vs. 93 is about 4-5 bucks.

10. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

Sounds like that Autozone guy is trying to sell you something you don't need. You really need to take the car to a GM Dealership and have them put a Tech 2 scanner on it. The Tech 2 can run diagnostic tests on the entire emission system and EVAP system to determine whats causing the DTC to be set in the PCM that plain scanners simply cannot perform. It could be anything such as a faulty O2 sensor by the converter if the trouble code is PO430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). Pretty common problem on these 4th Gen Camaros. I have replaced a few of these O2 sensors myself at our dealership. If the car is fuel injected, you do not need to run a higher octane fuel necessarily. It should run just fine on 87 regular. If there is a engine misfire or knocking problems, these can be corrected very easily by us downloading a program from GM online into the Tech 2 and upload it directly into your car's PCM. This procedure only takes 30 minutes to perform and you can put any grade of fuel you want in the car and it will not have any ill effects on its performance. The dealership will probably put in some top engine cleaner to help eliminate the carbon buildup on the injectors. My advice is take your car to a GM Dealership and let them fix it. Hope this helps! ;)

Jim
    '80 Berlinetta

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006