2003 Nissan Altima Engine Issues

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by HurtHorseZ28, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your compression numbers don't look horrible, even dry.

Have you looked for a vacuum leak? That generation Altima was famous for sucking in the intake gasket.

2. HurtHorseZ28

HurtHorseZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So I changed the oil and noticed after emptying the pan that there was a sand-like grit at the bottom.

http://community.cartalk.com/discus...xcessive-oil-consumption-maxima-sentra-altima

"The excessive oil consumption was caused by faulty catalytic converter design. As the catalytic converters aged, they produced a sand like substance that was being sucked back into the engine during the common negative cycle. This created a comet like substance that created excessive internal engine wear. As engine oil was drawn into areas it should not be and burned off, it further accelerated the catalytic breakdown process."

I'll troubleshoot more this weekend as far as a vacuum leak, but my gut tells me that the underlying issue is the condition described above. I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to replace the header on the car or if it's too late and the damage has already been done.

3. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

Looks to me like # three is not firing or the injector is not closing completely.
    Is this a coil over set up? Did you replace the boots if it is? And just because an injector ohms good doesn't mean it's good.

4. HurtHorseZ28

By coil over, you mean the coils are over each of the spark plugs? Then yes, these coils are and the ones I bought come with the boot already attached. What you said about the injector may give me an idea.

I had put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the car and I felt that the car ran a little bit better. I wasn't sure if it actually was, or if it was more of a "placebo" effect because I wanted my problem to be solved. Do you think the injector cleaner will continue to work, or do you think that the injector is bad? Is there a different way to test it or a product that will clean it out fast?

5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's possible the the injector isn't spraying correctly. I've heard before on other cars where the "spray" is off just enough that it's not as fine of a mist as it should be. If it's doing this, then it's not going to burn as nicely as it otherwise would.

On the Titans, if the precat material gets pulled back in (in our case with the T's, via exhaust manifold leak), it would cause a loss of compression when it does its damage. The fact that you still have good compression tells me that, physically, the piston and cylinder walls are still fine. I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket options with the Altimas for headers, but I know for the Titans it's just as cheap to replace with aftermarket than as it is for another set of stock manifolds, and the aftermarket won't crack like another set of stock will.

6. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

7. HurtHorseZ28

A fuel pressure gauge is something that I don't have, but I've pretty much eliminated everything else and am going to put an injector in there. I ordered a GB Remanufactured Injector off of Amazon and it looks like the attached picture. One portion of it isn't perfectly circular and looks like it's indented out. Will this cause problems?

Attached Files:

8. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

I don't think that'll be a problem. Is it new?