2004r rebuild cost

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 7.62fmj, Feb 7, 2019.

1. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

Been talking to some more shops and getting quotes. Is $1,000 labor plus parts reasonable? Said I could specify what parts I wanted or bring in my own.

I read Jake's old post with recommended upgrades. It's a CZ core so I should have some hardened parts, good VB, and governor. Do I need the 10 vane pump and hardened vanes and a Trans Go kit or can I just have the guy throw in red frictions and new seals, bearings, etc. and call it good?

Engine is a 333 SBC, makes about 250 crank.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Going to 'do' two shortly. Can't advise you on the costs, as I don't have professional shop nor am I making a living out of it.

But I can tell you that with your current output you don't have to go crazy on upgrading this unit, as it will live easily behind your current engine. So if you're not planning on adding power in the future, I would do a basic overhaul, add a good reprogramming kit (check CK Performance as he's specialized in 200's) that will also take care of some of the OEM flaws. Upgrading to 10 vanes is always a good idea for a constant line pressure (no more than 10) and upgrading the servo is also a good, low cost upgrade but not necessary at your power levels.

3. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

I just need it to live until I have money for a t56

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with camaro71/holland. A stock rebuild using the CK Performance separator plate and shift kit plus a Sonnax Servo will do the job for you. You will get nice clean shifts that are properly timed. You will read about dual feeding. You can do that, but at your power level don’t bother. Dual feeding can complicate the build causing shift timing issues. I dual fed mine due to higher power levels and it took some trial and error till I got the shift timing all straightened out.

Also buy The CK Performance billet pump kit. I prefer the 7 vane, but 10 is okay. Like camaro71/holland said, avoid the 13 vane. They cause pressure issues and can break.

Use the .500 boost valve and .367 reverse boost valve with Chris’s shift kit. It works great and his shift kit and his separator plate. That combo prevents the 2-3 shift bindup that is common when building these units.

5. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

What's the difference between the Trans Go kit and Chris's kit?

6. camaro71/holland

Transgo is one of the better/best commercial kits (large production numbers for most trans types), CK (or any specialized builder/vendor for that part) will/can set you up with a custom kit addressing the specific areas in relation to the rest of your build.

Short version: Transgo kit will leave some parts in box, custom kit can have some build specific extra parts.

7.62fmj likes this.
  7. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’m not a fan of the transgo kit for the 200-4R. Chris’s kit works better. I’ve used both. Chris’s setup is hands down better.

7.62fmj likes this.
  8. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

Ok, so I will look into his shift kit, rebuild kit (the master b kit?) And the 10 vane pump

9. camaro71/holland

Call him and he'll set you up with the correct parts, but I think you're not far off.

10. camaro71/holland

Also, it's not advised to do this with a 200-4r without upgrading the input drum/shaft.