2007 Pontiac G6 hardtop convert, no convert.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by LADDTWZ, Jul 13, 2018.

1. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    My son's GF has an 07 Pontiac G6 convertible. Last week the top made a horrendous noise and it stopped working. Opened the trunk to find one of the little flaps that fold out to cover the mechanism broke and hanging down. Upon further research, the aircraft cable was snapped and the bracket the flap is pinned to is broken. Unfortunately the bracket is molded into the entire back dash underneath section, so this would be a huge pita to fix, IF I could even find the parts, which I heard do not exist.

So my question, any of you service techs, writers , owners, or anyone have an idea of how we can manually raise and lower the hardtop? I was thinking if I disconnected the hydraulics then maybe? Ideas anyone. Thanks!

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Fiberglass and resin the bracket back together and use a collet on the cable? Can't help with the hydraulic part, sorry..

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Back in the day (circa 1984) we had to disconnect the hydraulics on my Galaxie to manually operate the top. I'm not sure if they are even close to the same but I'd give it a shot.

4. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    That is what I was thinking except part of the bracket is missing. I would have to fabricate something to replace it.

Agreed, but now to figure out how and where. Appears buried under back seats or side areas.