2020 Mid-Engine Corvette?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

I am in love with the mere thought of a mid engined vette, but it's gonna be a reality with a pushrod v8? Oh yea...I haven't been to the new car show in over a decade, but I'm going this year, I gotta see this thing in person!
    I wish it were our little family resto business providing this, but you can bet that the person who offers manny swap kits will make plenty of loot...I couldn't believe it either, the previous corvette was one of the last cars where the manual trans was actually standard. The only way to get an auto at one point in the vetttes history was to buy the convertible! That's what I get for making fun of the porsche guys for no stick in the gt3, now I feel their pain.

I've never met the guy, I would love to pick his brain during the power tour or drag week, but that dude has made me shake my head in wonder over the years. I thought he was a much better fit as editor in chief of car craft.
    I was just reading an old issue of hot rod from 02, remember how much he supported the sport compact craze/fad? It seemed like those days he was just trying to get more people to read hot rod, but the tone was almost mocking. I remember once someone's letter got printed saying something like "I love hondas, all these rednecks and old guys can't keep up, they really believe there is no replacement for displacement. The turbo is one"
    Ummm...what makes more power under boost, 1.8l or 5.7?
    Maybe he simply doesn't care for mid engined cars, or is a true vette traditionalist, but the vette is way better than the Ford gt.
    Didn't the camaro get a better time than the last vette at the nurburgring?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

3. BonzoHansen

I find the no manual trans thing a strange point. This thing's a dual clutch transmission, not an automatic. It's just there's no clutch pedal. And the magic of 2 clutches means they can shift a lot faster than a person.

4. BonzoHansen

And I'm laughing at the old Corvette guys were complaining about the engine not being up front anymore. That was Zora's dream to go mid engine.

Then again they complained about hideaway headlights going away. At last I looked 1st gen Corvettes didn't have hideaway headlights. They also had a solid rear axles.

The Corvette should be the current ultimate technology. This car seems to deliver that far more than a last few gens.

dave@ztech and gpm6367 like this.
  5. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I guess it's close. But a computer is involved, it has an automatic mode, and pressing paddles isn't quite like moving a shift lever around; the latter I've always rather enjoyed. The only time I really don't like a conventional clutch is in stop and go traffic, otherwise I also enjoy working the clutch. Just what I'm used to after so many years of driving, I guess.

sparkyboy likes this.
  6. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

I remember a hot rod article with the story about how the corvette was almost axed before the gorgeous mid years, so zora and some dudes from hot rod magazine entered some corvettes into some le mans races and murdered the porsches.

The c4 got banned from scca (I think) after one year 28-0 against porsches. Hence the corvette challenge.

I love that sh*t!
    I'm sure in Zoras heaven, there is a corvette with every v8 installed, and a pile of mid engined ones with the Muncie m22, he should be very proud of what become of his baby.

As far as 3 pedals vs. Dual clutch, I drove an audi rs7 (v10 rwd, rs8 is ttv8 and awd) with the seven speed paddles and that thing was great fun.
    I also drove an all aluminum 454 (Lt1?) 72 corvette with 4 speed of course she was a lot more fun. Who cares if computers and robot parts shift faster? The computer can also rat you out kinda, if you crash her badly can't they look up the data and see how fast you were going? Plus nannys, you gotta push a button first to burnout.
    If you dig the paddles, cool!
    All my cars except my rv are manual.

7. BonzoHansen

But that is not relevant to the Corvette discussion. All cars today have that you probably haven't been able to buy a car for many years that doesn't do that.

sparkyboy likes this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Now, considering the C8 is doing 0-60 in sub 3 seconds with less than 500HP, the Z06/ZR1 are going to be interesting
    There are some rumblings that GM is planning to put an electric motor upfront and make the car all-wheel-drive (with the electric motor driving the fronts wheels)

I'm wondering if we are going to see a variant of The Blackwing V8 GM spent a fortune developing the DOHC Twin Turbo V8 for the CT6 - than promptly killed the platform.
    I can't imagine they are going to just let this engine design sit.

9. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

I have enough trouble with the styling but if it’s only available as an automatic that’s sacrilege.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hate to say it, but that's where the entire world is going.
    With all of the engine/chassis controls in place now for both performance and efficiency it just doesn't make sense to have the ECM trying to react to a human shifting gears.
    I like my manuals as much as the next guy, and for older cars it's the only way to go. But believe me if you ever have the chance to drive a Porsche GT3 (and everyone's transmission is going to be this good soon) you'll see how blindly fast a good dual clutch "automatic" transmission can be.