2020 Mid-Engine Corvette?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

63BC0B8F-0658-45DA-920A-885B4CA5BF40.jpeg BB7911E2-4BD0-4A14-A502-291C97590D73.png
    Old Corvette guys? :) I’m still complaining about the pop up head lights. Not interested in anything since the C5. (213k on mine)Especially not this wanna Bee NSX.

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The more I look and read, the more I dig it. Engineering Explained goes into some detail about how they get to 60 in <3sec.

I think it's closer to the Ferrari 488 in looks than the NSX, but all these mid-engine supercars have a similar look & shape. Of course, only one of them costs 5-figures.:)
    [​IMG]

P.S. 1st of 3 kids headed to college, this is all mental masturbation for me anyway. I'll be free in 14 years or so.:D

3. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

You could have 3 base model Vette's roughly for 1 Acura base NSX at roughly 175+
    The purist can still be purist I collect things, but tech will always evolve to something better.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Forgot to mention- my buddy at work (who owns a '16 C7 Grand Sport) is headed up to Kerbeck Corvette tomorrow for the "East Coast" reveal.

5. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A vaguely related story :),

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...e-Stick-Shift-Vehicle-Deputies-512879231.html

"A Central Florida man found himself behind bars after police say he tried to steal a car from an elderly man – only to realize he didn’t know how to drive the stick shift vehicle."

"News outlets say 25-year-old Jaelyn Alexander attempted to carjack the victim on Tuesday in Orlando before he realized that he couldn’t drive the manual transmission car and stealing another vehicle and fleeing the scene."

"Alexander was spotted a short distance later and placed under arrest."

"Orange County Sheriff’s officials say he will be charged with carjacking, battery on a person over the age of 65 and grand theft."

6. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

I've been a Corvette fan for my entire life, and as soon as I could afford to get into one, I bought a C6 Z06. By no means was it refined like the German products...but on a track, I used to keep up just fine with the GT3's, and for a fraction of the cost.

A little later in life, I had to sell the car to free up some cash. Till this day, my dad says I should have never sold it...I think he liked it more than I did! Since then I've built my '73, and currently own one of those German products with a PDK (Porsche's dual clutch). And while I love my clutch and T56, the PDK is bloody remarkable.

It will be interesting to see how Tremec's dual clutch feels and performs...but if it's anything like the PDK, the shifts are quick, and hopefully the car just always knows what gear to be in before you need it.

I liked the C7, but not enough to put my cash down. The C8 has peaked my interest. I've started to ask dealers about getting in line for a 2020. The first one I spoke to told me it was a 2 year wait list up here in Canada. I'm not interested in waiting that long. Have a few other contacts that I'm trying to leverage.

500hp, dual clutch, and under 6 figures. Yea, I'll bite.

7. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I think the car looks amazing but I'm disappointed with no actual three pedal manual transmission.

8. danbrennan

I thought there were some interesting details in Henry Payne's column about the C8 Corvette. I don't like the weight creeping up to 3600 lbs, though.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/o...mid-engine-corvette-lives-up-hype/3896719002/

"Like the C7, the C8 is built around a stiff central spine to allow for easier driver egress (carbon-fiber tub cars like Lambos use tall, wide side sills for stiffness, but are a nightmare to crawl over). But unlike C7, C8 uses 20 — count ‘em, 20 — aluminum castings to compliment that spine where C7 had but 4."

"For the first time, the mid-engine car uses coil-over springs and shocks for state-of-the-art suspension like European supercars (previous-gen Corvettes used cost-saving, composite “leaf” springs)."

"The 3,600-pound Corvette will never be as maneuverable as the lighter, 3,100-pound Cayman. But, then, the C8 has Lambo-like power that the wee Porsche can only dream of."

"Then Corvette pairs an efficient, Acura-like “trigger” shifter with the Drive Mode dial for easy operation."

"Climb into the ol’ C7 and you got a nostril-full of the polymers use to make the dash and interior inserts. It smelled like a poor man’s supercar. For the C8, the engineers “pre-baked” the materials to eliminate odors."

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

10. danbrennan

I heard a flat plane crank in a Z28 a few years ago, but I haven't heard the Corvette one yet. It does sound mean.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019