2nd gen mini tubs ?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by RaceheadWS6, Feb 28, 2006.

1. RaceheadWS6

RaceheadWS6 Member

I've been going thru all the pro-touring sites and after a while I had to go out to my garage to make sure that 2nd gens even exist ! I swear that the parts ratio from first to second gen in like 200 to 1 and I'm not even kidding :( Anyway it's become obvious that I need bigger tires on the back of my '71 than will currently fit ( I'd like some 305-315's if I can fit them ) Is there some company I'm missing that makes mini-tub kits for 2nd gens ? If not is there a how to on what modifications are necessary to mount tires this large ?

Thanks
    Bill

2. fbodyfreak

fbodyfreak Veteran Member

It can be done without minitubbing, a few people on here have 17x11 w/ 315/35/17 without a minitub. Im putting 315s on the back of mine, but im not sure what the backspacing will be, cause im gonna have a C4 IRS. I know some people have these, though. sorry i cant be more help. Good luck!

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

315/35/17s will fit with a roll of the fender lip and, with a little hammer massaging of the inner wheelwell, they can tuck in pretty well.

4. RaceheadWS6

RaceheadWS6 Member

Thanks for the information, do you know what wheel width and back spacing would work best here ? When I had my car painted I had them cut the wheel well lip back to about 1/2 its original size so that's a go :)

5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Badkarma has 315/35/17s on his car and he used 5.75" backspace. Looks killer but they are not stuffed way far into the fenderwells like a lowered car would be like. He even said to make sure they will fit cause all cars and suspensions are not alike.

I just know they will fit my car ('70) cause I put an unmounted tire in the wheelwell and it fit OK. I have a narrowed Ford 9" on my car now with 9" wheels and 295/50/15 BFGs. My offsets differ slightly from a stock rear housing.
    The BFG 295/50/15s have a cross section width of 12.2" and the 315/35/17 BFG Drag Radial I used to fit had a cross section width of 12.4".

OR TO MEASURE:

Hang two plumb weight strings. One off the narrowest area of the inner fenderwell, one off narrowest area of the outer fenderwell. Magnets work good for this. Use a carpenters square on the face of the wheel mounting surface to keep them in line and to take measurements.

If you did not cut the spot welds off your lip when you trimmed it, it should handle some more rolling if necessary.

Hope I helped some.

LINK TO Badkarma POST:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40656&highlight=315/35/17

ALMOST FORGOT, SOMETIMES THE TIRE WILL HIT ABOVE THE SHOCK PASSTHROUGH HOLE AND THE WHEELWELL DOES HAVE A TAPER, HANG THE PLUMBS WHERE THE TIRE WILL HAVE THE LEAST CLEARANCE. ALSO KEEP AN EYE ON THE EXHAUST. (my tire rubs a bit above the shock hole)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006