30 X 50 Shop Build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by tmv36830, Feb 8, 2011.

1. tmv36830

tmv36830 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Thanks to all of my fellow camaro lovers who also have a penchant for garages/shops and or storage buildings, I submit to you my current shop build progress.

This shop started out to be a 30 X 50 Metal Shop. A customer of mine could not pay his bill but was in the Steel Building business so we decided to swap out. Unfortunately for me, I poured the footings before getting my permit and then the local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) would not allow me to put up a metal building. Oops! I should have checked fisrt. My bad.

Soooooo, after some long deliberations and kicking and screaming, I decided to make lemonade out of the lemons. Now it is going to be a 30 X 50 with a full second story and a trax type hoist system.

I neglected to take pictures of the footings but my son may have and I will try to dig those up later.

Enjoy!

Tommy V.
    Blast from the Past!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tmv36830

Jan 22, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    30 X 50 Garage

You can see in the pictures with my truck in the garage the steel beams that go from the front to the back of the building. These steel beams are 14 inches tall, 30 feet long and weigh approximately 1200lbs. each. I decided to use these for both strength and the trax hoist system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. totalcomfort

totalcomfort New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    hotsprings AR
    Nice build.I hate code monkeys it's your land should be able to build what you want!!!

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Man that is going to be a nice shop

5. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Tommy V,

Your garage/shop is looking awesome. I built my 24 x 32 garage about two years ago and have a few more items to complete on it. I wanted mine to be a little bigger, but land boundaries kept me from making it larger.

Please keeping posting your progress.

George
    North Pole, AK

6. B2inSC

B2inSC Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    Looks very nice. Looks like exactly what I need on my property. You could put a good many vehicles in your space with wheel dollies and such. I'm still using the shop on my fathers property. We need more space. But we make the most of what we have. Don't know when/if expansion may take place over there. We really need a five bay setup at least. We'll either expand over there, or I'll start from scratch on my property and should be able to put up someting nice with plenty of adequate space for what we want to do. I'll be facing the same code issues by living in the city. We have to have a permit simply for building a wooden privacy fence. I'm sure a much larger and more permanent structure will be even more of a treat to have to deal with. Keep us posted on the progrress. Looks great!

7. pokey_159

pokey_159 Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2009
    St.Louis, MO
    very sexi. no homo

8. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    That should be the perfect size!!!

Looks great!!!

9. tmv36830

Jan 22, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Thanks for the input.

Uploading more pictures to photobucket now. Should be able to post later tonight.

10. tmv36830

Jan 22, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    30 X 50 shop

Looking down my driveway. You will notice that I can turn left or right into either of 6 bays.

Now, I only need Z's for each bay. That or T/A's.

[​IMG]
    Looking down my drive.