350 sbc build, looking to get 700+ hp and massive torque

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Duece31, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Duece31

Duece31 New Member

So, I have a 350 L31 from a 96 sitting in the shop. I'm going to be building it up, my goal is 700 hp and a massive torque curve. Want to do fuel injection, looking at the holly stealth ram, 292 xfi, still debating between brodix or BMP heads, would like 1.8 rollers but 1.6 are perfectlying fine also, still looking at various lifters ect. Purpose of the build is a circuit truck for strip purposes but street legal for now anyway unless I come across another truck I like for towing it around. It's a 1997 k2500 Cheyenne. It's heavy but can be lightened abit plus, well....farm truck, Now my question is what are some of your opinions on achieving this. It's going to take some time and money, but build smart, build right.

2. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Best bang for the buck is nitrous. next supercharger/turbo.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you're looking to make that kind of power, why limit yourself with small cubic inches? It's a lot easier and more reliable with let's say a 502 then 350. I've never seen a reliable 350 make more then the ~500 horses that wasn't strictly a drag motor.

4. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Once I figure out what ect is I'll try to help.

5. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

You will not reach your 700 HP goal with out forced induction. You will have to have a super charger, turbo(s), or nitrous to get you there.

Unless you want to build a Nascar spec $80,000 engine then you could do it N/A small cube build, but 5,500 to 9,500 rpm power band won't be very much fun to drive

6. Duece31

Duece31 New Member

Ect as in Ecu, fuel rails/injectors, ignition system

As for turbo's or supercharger, I believe turbo would be the way to go, I like the benefits of a supercharger but turbo's would be cost friendly unless the money tree pays off, got some rare exotic wood lol. What would be the best size of turbo'(s) to run on a sbc

Nitrous isn't out of the question, once again something I haven't been around much. But no hurt in finding out as much information as possible.

A bbc is in the plans, haven't got that far yet, plus I'm (re)learning alot about doing this again. Been a few year's due to circumstances.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  7. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

My good friend has a Dart little M based 427 SBC. He has a TON of money into that engine and he is low 600hp on pump gas. But, he has a solid roller cam and we have to lash the valves all the time. This is a street legal car, but most of it's driving time is to and from the track.

I personally don't think a stock block will last long pushing that much power.

8. boogie

boogie Veteran Member

350 cubes and 700 HP? Hope you have some DEEP pockets

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you want to go turbo it's going to suck the wallet dry especially with all the hot/cold plumbing and cost of the turbos .plus if you're going with intercooler add more money

I've seen some pretty impressive #'s from a set of twins or even a single . The standard set up would be a pair if 88 mm turbo's or a single monster like a 91mm or even a huge 118mm turbo . Some of these motors are capable of 2500 hp plus and again a properly set of turbo or twin turbo motor isn't cheap by any means

Going with a Procharger like a F1 that's an 2k hp set up and again it's not cheap to build either . Going nitrous is cheaper but not by much But starting off with a 1k hp n/a set up being either sbc or bbc then adding up to 3-4 kits like 200- 400 hp ea you can have 1800 plus hp

Now all these motors are way off from being streetable set ups but can be done But limited street driving is more likely

10. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

GM 350 roller block with boosted 700+hp and a massive torque curve? You'll need a big engine diaper.