3D printing anyone?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 8pack, Oct 31, 2019.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 5th Gen console in my car and have made a mock up of a 3 gauge cluster to fit in the front "console tray". I have done some searching but am looking to see if anyone on here does any 3D printing. I would send you the mock up.

This would work for anyone with a 5th Gen manual console in their 2nd Gen car. Not sure about automatic but I don't see why not.

The nub on the back is a wad of epoxy putty with a tang on the bottom that locks the bottom in place in the console tray as it is basically a mold to fit the square hole in the bottom of it. That would need to be printed so it looked a little cleaner and not like the wad of epoxy that it is!

The part is 7 7/8" wide and I know it will only fit on printers of a certain size or larger.

Here is the link to the pics in my build thread, post #530

http://nastyz28.com/threads/1978-z28-seee-ya.276139/page-53#post-3731872

Thanks!

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ive been doing a lot of 3-D Printing lately. I will take a look. The max width on my printer is 9" so the size wont be an issue I dont think. PM Sent

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

How does 3D printing work? Can new 70 only windshield eyebrows be made by sample?

4. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have detailed pics of the eyebrows? If you are referring to these... then yes, I could probably re-create them. It would be tricky though, if they are as thin as the ones on my 78. There are also some strange twists/curves in the plastic, but it's do-able (but difficult, maybe). I'd need to see better pics.
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/molding-availability-for-1970.321221/

In simple terms, you create your model using 3D printing software to create an STL or OBJ file (or something similar). Then you use a different program called a Slicer, which converts the STL file into something that the printer can interpret. The 3D printer uses plastic on a spool (like fishing string) and it builds the objects in layers. You can print the object in a variety of colors. When it's done, you peel away the support material and are left with an object that can be used as-is. Or, in my case, I am adding some filler (like Bondo) to smooth out the object and make it look more professional. Or you can cover it in vinyl, etc.

Here are a couple examples of things I am working on. The first is a custom bezel for a Third brakelight that will mount up high on the rear window and the second is a cover for the front seat belt post. I've made a bunch of other things, I just havent posted them yet because I am waiting to pick up (what I hope are) the final designs within the next day or two. For example,
    • Cover for Rear seatbelt retractor
    • Cover for the Front Seatbelt post
    • A bezel for my radar detector
    • Bezels for my Seat Heater buttons
    • Gas cap holder
    • A small storage box that sits inside the center console
    • A custom partition piece that sits inside the glovebox
    • A custom carrier for SAE and Metric deep sockets
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]