4.2 inline 6 banger

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I've got someone wanting to trade for my Mercedes 300 S class diesel. They want to trade an '04 Buick Ranier. It has the 4.2 inline 6 cylinder. I know the car is basically a Buick version of the Tahoe. If it was the 4.3 V-6 I'd pass as the intake and fuel system problems they had are more than I want to fight. How good is this drivetrain and the vehicle overall. It's a bit battered but I want something to drive if we have a bad winter with lots of snow.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Trailblazer I'm guessing you meant, Tahoe was a full size V8

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the Rainier has been exposed to a bunch of road salt I would pass. They rot pretty badly underneath, and it's big ticket items that attract the most rust.

4. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

I would pass... the 4.2 can be costly to repair and they have some quirks that come up. Examples:
    The valves can get carbonned up, which end up causing a p0300 misfire.
    They also have frequent p0011 codes, which tend to come from lack of oil changes...most the time it is just a simple control solenoid for the cam phaser, but every once in a while you will have to also change the cam phaser as well to get it back right.
    The catalytic convertors go out quite frequently. My uncle has the GMC version...on his 3rd convertor.
    The front 4wd (if it has 4wd) actually mounts to the oil pan and goes through it. Kind of cool...but I have seen a few problems pop up with the RH side of the differential that mounts to the oil pan..
    The TStat is a pain to change...causes a frequent P0128 code.
    The water pumps tend to slowly fail / wear out. They get a lot of play in the shaft bearings but don't leak. When they finally decide to leak its a lot and fast with minimal warning.
    The Electronic clutch for the mechanical fan tends to give some issues, not as much at the water pump.
    Oh and forgot to mention, the clutch fan and shroud are a pain to remove, UNLESS you cut a relief in the fan shroud around the upper radiator hose outlet.

Those are the issues I see frequently come into the shop. There are also the typical GM wheel bearings and suspension parts, but that's about given on every car.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  5. Mike N

The VVT solenoid, thermostat, fan and water pump are all easy fixes.

The power steering lines, tranny cooler lines, fuel pump and converter are common and expensive fixes. Brakes, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods, swaybar links are to be expected on these heaps. The frames on those like to rot out near the front wheels, especially on the passenger side.

I would still pass.

6. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So it's pretty much like any other used car on the road?

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I may pass on it. The picture of the car had Wisconsin plates on it. They want my van which has electrical problems with the transmission. It will shift with the shifter but stays in third gear going down the road. No grinding or anything, just no shift. Otherwise the van is a decent one so I'll stay with it and see if I can troubleshoot the electrics.

8. Mike N

Frequency of repair on the Rainier/Trailblazer/Envoy is higher than most others.

9. 1BAD78

1BAD78 Veteran Member Gold Member

Fixed :crazy: