4-relay power windows - Do it!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Tokyo Torquer3, Nov 12, 2012.

1. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Teamchevy just finished his express down window upgrade!! Great job! I want everybody to remember during the install of this kit, there are only two wires retained from the original power window relay connector to be used with my harness upgrade:

10ga ORN/blk provides BAT power to the relay bank

16ga PNK/blk provides switched ignition source for the relay bank.

The ORN/blk should be hot at all times, the PNK/blk should be hot with key in ACC or run position. If there is no voltage on the ORN/blk with key on, check for a blown fuse, bad connection, corrosion or some other issue that may be preventing you from getting power to the relay bank. If you can't get power on that wire, or if converting from manual to power windows you can run a separate, dedicated BAT run to relay bank to bypass the OEM fuse panel-just make sure that the circuit is protected by a 30A fuse.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. junkyardZ28find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybRLzLc4g8g

This is a quick video a customer made who had installed one of my express down window harnesses in his truck. He hadn't greased the tracks or anything yet-this was the window speed before doing any else after he had ran the wiring....this gives you an idea of how it functions once installed.

3. Jarkkokarkko

Jarkkokarkko Member

Did anybody make an install thread yet? Would help a lot since I have no experience in car electrics at all. Could help in building up the confidence to do this :)

4. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm in the process of making one.
    For the novice I think the only concern is making good crimps on the new terminals. Plenty of instructional You Tube videos like this to help... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u_EkMsioMY
    just practice a little.

other than that it's...
    1. Disconnect the battery. Remove Console to access the switch wires.

2. Splice in the new harness…

2a. Prepare power supply wiring by extracting the 3 wires (with terminal ends) from the OEM Relay OR cut the wires at the relay and replace the terminal ends (supplied).
    Insert Orange and Pink/Blk wires into the new Connector (supplied) ensuring orientation (wire colors) correctly match the new connector.
    The plain Pink wire on the OEM Relay is no longer used.
    2b. Prepare switch and window motor wiring
    Cut existing wires about a foot before PW switch.

Add terminal ends (supplied) to both ends of cut wires.

Insert terminal ends in supplied Connector for motors (4 pin connector) ensuring orientation (wire colors) correctly match the new connector

Insert terminal ends in supplied Connector for switch (6 pin connector, 5 are used) ensuring orientation (wire colors) correctly match the new connector
    2c. Plug in each connector on the new harness and test
    12v Power supply connection at relay (2 pin connector)
    Window Switch supply connection (6 pin connector)
    Window Motor supply connection (4 pin connector)
    Connect the supplied ground wire
    Connect Battery
    Test
    3. Secure new relay pack under the dash or console and re-install console

5. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Since I just had our 80 apart at the console and the doors, I thought about doing this conversion. I bought on of the aftermarket connectors for the power window switch in the console and believer it or not, my windows go up and down just as fast even with the car off. I compared speed of mine to the ones in the videos I've seen after the conversion and for some reason mine are already fast? Not complaining, just wondering why?

6. junkyardZ28find

While my kit does offer improved speed, yours may just be in really great shape lol! But, besides that, I also can add single touch express down to mine both on stock window motors as well as the aftermarket Electric Life type motors-those conversion "kits" require a different window harness from the OEM setup which, whoever supplies their harnesses are complete crap IMO.

7. Jarkkokarkko

Jarkkokarkko Member

Thanks a lot for this step by step tutorial :)

I'll take a look at this little project before my car goes to hibernation... which is sadly in some weeks from now. Damn the nordic winter. Always gets here too soon.

8. junkyardZ28find

There are a few variations available with my kits. There are dedicated kits depending on:

If you are using OEM type window motors or;

If you are converting from manual and/or are installing aftermarket motors like Electric Life.

If running OEM motors, I can supply stock, relay powered or relay/express down.

If running aftermarket motors, I offer stock, relay powered, relay/express down and relay/express down and up.

The difference between OEM motors and aftermarket is that OEM require being bolted to the door shell for proper grounding. Aftermarket motors are reverse polarity type and your stock OEM harness will not work with those. For this reason on custom window harnesses, I can provide different versions depending on what you want. If there's any questions I'm only a PM away.

9. junkyardZ28find

*UPDATE*

So for those of you with 1980-81 vehicles, I've made a revision where I relocate the relay bank to its respective door shell. So for standard relay upgrade you'll have 2 per door and for express down you'll have 3 per door. The reason for this is due to the mounting of the ecm inside the console making it very tough to get everything I supply to fit.

If anybody is interested in either a relay kit, express down kit or an express down AND up kit (requires late model worm gear motor upgrade) I can build to suit-this may be an easier option for some. Here's what I need to know:

1.) Vehicle year
    2.) Stock motors or upgraded (ie Electric Life for example)
    3.) Relay bank placement (console or door shell)

If you are using OEM window motors and regardless of year would still like them to be mounted on the door shell, I supply the soldered Packard 56-series terminals-YOU need to re-use your factory round style window motor connector bodies.

If you have updated the window motors, I will supply the soldered terminals AND newer style window motor connectors. Prices for the kits are the same-no increase in $$, I just want to provide an even easier kit to install for everyone. Thanks to those who have already purchased a kit and for those with questions, PM away!

10. junkyardZ28find

Pics of the harness kit as delivered...

[​IMG]

This is a complete harness upgrade for existing power windows-includes new switch connector, 4-cavity connector to join your existing leads from both window motors, an under dash chassis ground and a 2-cavity connector to use 2 of the 3 existing wires located within your OEM window relay connector. It is incredibly easy to integrate this harness-the most time consuming part will be accessing room under the dash and pulling the console to install the auto-down relay bank!