4" Speakers in Center of Dash

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by jthomas, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I completed the installation of two 4" speakers in the center of my dash. I went with this option because I did not want to cut up my Camaro. I know this isn't going to provide the ideal sound stage, but I hope it will serve the purpose. I haven't fire them up yet as I still have to install the amp and rear speakers. Hope to do that this weekend.

I did not have the original speaker or the bracket, so I made everything from scratch thanks to everyone's suggestions. Special thanks to Twisted Metal, Batman and Dale68z.

I took Batman's advice and listened to a bunch of speakers. The Polk Audio db401's were by far the best ones I heard so I bought those.

I cut a pattern from cardboard and then used that to cut a piece of heavy sheet steel. I then cut keystock and tack welded those to the edges to make the whole assembly good and rigid. Then I used a 4" hole saw to cut the speaker openings. I lined the whole thing with a heavy weatherstrip material so it would sit up against the dash without rattling. I then bend and welded my own bracket to hold everything up in place. I decided not to use any speaker grill cloth because I wanted to see the speakers when looking down into the cowl. The car isn't a daily driver so wasn't too worried about dirt and sun damaging the speakers.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

VERY NICE....looks great and very professional!!

3. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

you could probably make a buck selling those

4. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

No kidding!! There are alot of people that don't have the original mount looking for a set up like that.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice job fabricating the mounting bracket! :D

6. vfw_1168

vfw_1168 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

looks great.... might think about doing something like that for mine one day and have 6 speakers in mine:) 2 in back 2 in the doors and then 2 in the dash:)

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Great job ,as in my earlier post I am about to do the same set-up. When wiring these to my existing 6x9 rear speakers do I wire these left to right vs.front to rear? My radio has both fader + balance controls.

8. jthomas

Thanks everyone!

Dave...I never tried that so can't really advise. I just put the front speakers on the front circuit and rear to rear...always sounded fine to me.

I know some guys do the left/right vs front/rear setup. Maybe some others can chime in with pros and cons?

9. commuter

commuter Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

nice fab work !

10. jthomas

One thing I hate is when someone posts about a project and then never reports the outcome...then we never really know if what they did worked out. So...I thought I'd report on the result of the 4" dash speakers.

Got the whole system up and running thanks to all the great information posted by the rest of you audiophiles. I used a Kenwood x994 head unit, a Kenwood 4 channel amp, and Polk Audio db series speakers: 4" coaxials in front and 6x9 3-ways in rear. Haven't added my subwoofer yet :D.

I was really skeptical about using 4" front speakers; putting them so close together; and not having tweeters pointing right at the listener. I have a factory 5 channel Bose system in my daily driver and it sounds great, so I was a little concerned the Camaro might pale in comparison. But...to my surprise this has a cleaner sound, punchier bass and more volume!

When I first turned it on it was just OK, but I hadn't set anything up at that point. So, I played around with the high pass filters to make sure the 4" speakers and the 6x9's were all in the 'clean zone' at high volume. Then I set the fader so the rear speakers were just audible. Next I used the manual EQ option on the Kenwood head unit to get the sound curve right for Rock and Metal. Then I cranked the volume up...All I can say is WOW! The 4" speakers sound great with crystal clear highs. Having the rear speakers set so they are just audible gives enough left/right channel separation that having the front speakers so close together didn't disappoint like I expected.

Since the 6x9's push some nice punchy bass, I may not need a sub, but as a final step I may try what Batman suggested and run the 6x9's off the head unit and bridge the B channel to run my 10" subwoofer...just to see how that sounds. If I loose sound quality with the 6x9s but like the added lower bass, I will just add a dedicated amp for the sub.

One question for you guys....the amp has an input sensitivity control. The range is 4 MIN to 0.3 Max and it came out of the box set at '1'. Can someone educate me as to what this does and whether I should play around with the setting?