4" Speakers in Center of Dash

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by jthomas, Dec 30, 2010.

1. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's the gain control for the amp.

The easiest way to set it is to leave it where it is. You have the benefit of a Kenwood head unit and a Kenwood amp, so more than likely they're setup for each other outta the box.

But, just to further your knowledge, you would normally set it with the head unit's volume level ~3/4 of the way up, then adjust the gain on the amp so you're getting the loudest clean sound you can without distortion.

There are other ways, but that's the jest of it.

http://www.installer.com/tech/index.php?page=gains

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. noVette

noVette Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice install and pictures. Thanks for the udate also.

3. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks AJ_72...Great article!.

4. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Great post and fab work. I am trying the same thing, except I have a pair of Pioneer 4" speakers. Trouble is these have the center tweeters sitting higher than the flange of the outer speaker. Are the Polks like that too, and if so, how did you keep the middle from hitting the dash grill underneath?

5. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah...the Polks stick up too. IIRC about 1/2":

[​IMG]

Get some moderate to high compression foam weatherstrip from Lowes or Home depot and put it along the edges so it sticks higher than the tweeters when compressed. Mine comes within 1/4" of hitting the grill so that's just right. I used two layers of 3/8" moderate compression foam to achieve a 3/4" tall foam surround. Worked great.

[​IMG]

6. Sean 74Z

Sean 74Z Veteran Member

Using original support we did this. We got the idea from twisted metal- I think he used 3.5 inch , we were able to get 4 inch wides in the support.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then some Sticky foam around the edges to make it pressure tight against the underside of dash.
    [​IMG]
    Just thought we would add to this thread.

7. twood

twood Veteran Member

Thanx.....I was wondering the best way to get sound up front......I still have the original speaker in the center but its toast
    You all never cease to amaze me !!!!!!!!!!!!

8. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Great job Sean. Here's a question for greater minds than mine: (I'm in the process of doing almost exactly the same thing.) I noticed that you left the original speaker magnet in there. When I was pre-fitting everything I noticed that the new speaker magnets are attracted to the old speaker magnet. Will the magnet field of the old magnet effect the performance of the new speakers?

9. younda

younda Veteran Member

Thanks to this thread, I added front speakers yesterday. Shopping online I noticed the 3-1/2" and 4" speakers seem to vary quite a bit on the required cutout diameters. One 3-1/2" speaker required only a 3" cutout and one 4" speaker said 4" cutout which I thought would be to large. I went with the 4" Alpine for $40 on Amazon as it requires 3-11/16" cutout. They came with plastic mounting plates that I ended up cutting and using to mount speakers below the mounting plate so the tweeter doesn't stick out beyond the frame's top plane.
    Initially, I only removed the original magnet but when I accidentally knocked off the magnet housing, I simply screwed the mounting plate to the bracket as shown in picture. I have no idea if these are good speakers but Amazon reviews looked good.
    I hot glued black cloth over the frame and put foam strips under the dash so it won't vibrate.
    IMG_5244.JPG IMG_5242.JPG
    IMG_5247.JPG
    IMG_5248.JPG

jthomas, branbell and Rene Melten like this.