468 79 Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by legierk, Jun 11, 2014.

1. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Glad you got it "finished". Sounds like a bunch of shake down testing to do now. Thats coming right up for me too and kind of nervous about it. What was wrong with the coil wire?

2. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Thanks. I tested the coil wire (a brand new 10mm Taylor 409 Race wire) and it had pretty low resistance. Can't remember what it was. Anyhow, put on an old yellow Accel wire that had much more resistance and she fired right up.

So I have the coil wire and MSD HVC II coil (worth $150 combined) that are brand new but for some reason, won't work with the Summit ignition box and Summit distributor in my car. Go figure.

3. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Nervous? Well, it's been pouring rain here and I got mud on the car from the splash up leaving the driveway. Mine's not a show car, but she will need a good cleaning. I won't take her out again until later this coming week, so it should be a lot drier outside.

Just take a short route. Have it planned. Cell phone, make sure someone knows where you're going. My first ride was about 1 mile. Second ride about 4 miles. Hell, I just wanted to make sure the $3500 transmission would shift through all the gears! LOL! I did get her up to 70mph (using a gps because I didn't have my glasses to program the speedo) and she cruised great.

4. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

20 mile ride.

The good news: Other than running a little warm at 200, all is well. Motor is strong.

The bad news: Cruising a 70mph, I felt a vibration. Got worse. Looked in side mirror and saw something that looked like a rock fly away from car and bounce on road. Vibration got really bad. Pulled over. 1 lug nut on, 2 empty studs, and 2 sheared studs on left rear wheel. Dad came with 2 lugnuts and I limped her home at 40mph with 3 on that wheel. Tightened all the others too!

So, disaster averted. In my defense, I knew the wheel studs were pretty short with these wheels and the disc brakes on the rear. I knew each lug only grabbed about 3-4 threads. I was gonna change gear oil anyway, so now I'll pull the axles and see how hard it is to press out the studs and replace them with longer ones. Anybody done that before?

5. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

wow good to hear its up and running good bummer bout the studs ..but bfh and the olds one will pop right out big nut and a air gun the new ones will go right in

6. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Yeah. Still a little freaked out, but glad it wasn't worse. I was going 70 you know. ONE frickin' lug nut on the wheel!

Need to get the old ones out so I can measure the knurl. It's probably .480 but ARP has some that are .486, so not sure. I'm sure I could heat the axle flange, put the studs in the freezer for a day or two, and they would probably slide right in. And, I need to check the axle bearing on that axle. Shouldn't have damaged it because I caught it quickly, but you never know.

ARP = http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7701

Moser = http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-8050

Summit = http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-910102

7. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

You don't have to pull the axel out to remove the stud. Just take a nut on the end of the stud and hit it with a hammer.

8. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Correct. But I was planning to change the gear oil anyway. Truthfully, I wanted a few more miles on it that about 30, but I'm sure it's had time to clean out all the junk. So while I have the cover off, I might as pull them, because I am replacing ALL the studs in the rear. The lugs are only catching about 1/4"-3/8" of the threads. I'd rather have it right than have to worry about it.

I made a short to do list in no particular order:

Bleed brakes again
    Change thermostat and water pump/add water wetter
    Change axle studs/change gear oil
    Tie up/fix wiring at fusebox (interfering with clutch operation)
    Re adjust rocker arms/valve lash
    Change engine oil
    Fix paint chip
    Spray all hinges again
    Aim headlights

That should be enough to keep me busy for 3-4 weeks

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Those brackets go from lower fender to the radiator support,the other two go behind the grills to support nose . Car looks great in sun! Holy crap on the lugs,had to shake ya up !

10. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Yeah I laid under there for awhile and figured out those brackets. I took them off and had an idea, but just took patience to figure it out.

Got home today from work and removed rear axles and knocked out studs. Didn't take long at all. Factory studs are 1 3/4" long. NOT long enough for my wheels. Measured them and knurl was .463" on the largest one. Smallest size stud I could find longer than stock is .480", so I got them (Moroso, with the open lug nuts). I told my dad, worse case scenario is we waste a couple of axles and I'm out another $200 to order more. Hope that won't happen.

Also ordered bearings, as the driver's side was moving a little. I guess the axle kinda beat the bearing. Also had to get the bearing puller kit. I could have borrowed one from the parts houses I guess, but this way it's no drama.

I should have changed these studs from the get go. Live and learn. I'm just thankful no real damage was done. The wheel is fine. The axle appears to be fine.

I may post a few pics, but my Photobucket is at 80% full. Dang! So I have to be more selective in which pics I post.

Also ordered a few other odds and ends. ARP balancer bolt so I am not fighting turning the engine over to adjust the valves. Water Wetter to throw anything at the cooling system to get it below 200. And some other stuff which I can't even remember right now. Whew! Time to hit it.