4L80 not electronically controlled ???

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I know Tom has one, but I forget how his is controlled.

I've heard from Jake and Tom IIRC that 4L80's can be reverted back to a non
    electronically controlled Transmission. But I heard it's not as good obviously as
    with a computer, but if it's sufficient, that's good enough. I'd like to know if this
    is a bad way to go, AND if I can reconvert it BACK to electronics later if I go with
    a Gen IV motor eventually down the road without it costing a small fortune.

This precludes my concern about wasting money on a 2004R now,
    and going to a 4L80e later. Just curious.....any input is appreciated.

I found this, but it looks like every electronic controller is ~$750+ which is insane.
    So I guess I need more info on going to a full manual valve body.
    http://www.mez.co.uk/4l80e.html

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
  3. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    The question is: How much will it cost to convert to manual and then back to electronic?

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You can always sell the controller down the road.

5. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I looked that up and going with a controller is crazy. ~$750+ in the cases outlined.

For that kind of investment I can do a 6 speed manual.
    I'm starting to remember the roadblocks in $$$ I hit late last season.

Bell adaptor for BOP ~$500......I'm kinda wishing everything wasn't so damn expensive. :(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    It really comes down to whether you mind shifting it yourself all of the time or not. I have a friend whose car I tuned with a built manual valve body 4L80E and it was an 8.85 car at over 155 mph - so, they will hold the power for sure!

Personally, I loved driving my TA with a manual valve body TH400 - was kinda like having a manual without dealing with the clutch. Depends on what you are looking for really...

7. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I really don't think I'd mind it, however after rechecking prices, I forgot how expensive it can be. :whine:
    4L80e With a controller we're talking I can do a T56 install probably with all the mods it requires.
    So I'm back to square 1......the only inexpensive option is the 2004R and I just don't want to go that route.

So I have to sit on it until more money builds up again.
    I'm just doing the rear end this year. That's enough to keep me happy I'm sure.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Why not the 2004R? I'm dead certain that Jake could do you one that would live behind 500ft lbs for YEARS. In Orlando, there were tons of guys running those in 12sec GN's. And, IIRC, aren't the 2004R's available in BOP pattern?

9. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Why ??

Because I went down this road before. I bought the Stage II 700R4 and a year
    later sold it to Matts 73z with my newly built 350. I just think if I do it, I'm going
    to end up changing my mind on the Engine later anyways.

So I'm better off sitting on it.

I have zero doubts Jake's tranny's are great. He's the one who guided me in the right direction 7 years ago so I've trusted him since, and if I DO go the Auto trans route, it's going to be from him exclusively. I just can't make up my mind on what I want to invest in just yet. Spending $3,000 on a trans......I can swap the Gen IV complete drivetrain in for just a teeny bit more.....so that's where I'm stuck at.

I know myself too well.....I'm going to get the itch to pull that engine .....I know it.

10. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    if you want to bolt it up to a Olds block you need a 200r.

I don't know if the $ is the same for a t5/6 and a 4l80, but a 4l80 is only 12 bolts and done. A T5/6...