5.3 truck engine converted to 5.7 LS1

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ctchap70, Jul 24, 2011.

1. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

I built an iron ls1 for my 92 Camaro. I started out with a 4.8L and used the stock rotating assembly and heads from my ls1 that got stroked. Put a small used cam in and ported the heads. It was a great budget option for me.

2. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

A couple years ago I sold a nice 5.3 longblock to a guy for $200. After he bought it, he told me he was using the crank and heads in an LS1 shortblock that he bought for $100 because it spun the bearings. So he ended up with a good solid LS1 for $300 plus the cost of gaskets. There are better ways!

3. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Man I need to start buying some 6.0L from around me and selling them where you are. I know you re just generalizing for guys who only look on ebay but there are other places where these engines are cheaper. I'm also certain most prices are gonna be dictated by where you are in the US too.

I'd suggest looking on craiglist for wrecked car/trucks/vans, especially during and after winter or a good storm. There's tons of them out there, I found my 6.0L engine and 4L80E transmission for $1100 complete with wiring harness.

Another venue to check would be to troll around LS1tech or any of the other GM car/truck web sites for used parts. All it takes is signing in and checking the For Sale section from time to time.

I know there is a guy on LS1tech who sells used sets of heads for a decent price. IIRC I picked my LS3 heads up for $650 shipped fully assembled and they had low miles. Another is LKQ car parts or www.car-part.com which has access to tons of salvage yards.

4. OneShoe50

OneShoe50 Member

+100

5. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

'LEMON' title or a 'salvage' title ??

Anyways, computer tuning is a big issue to solve first before a swap. Who's doing it, equipment, etc...

6. usmcz28

Easiest thing to do is get ahold of one of the vendors at LS1tech, they can send you a baseline tune that will get it running. It's as easy as sending them a PCM or buying one from them, they upload a tune with some items such as VATS, SES lights and some others and away you go. Some tiimes but not always you can get a stock tune to run. Only issue is, all those unused plugs throw the PCM into limp mode because you deleted some of them it was looking at them to run the car. After that try and find a reputable tuner locally to have it fully tuned.

DO NOT just have it tuned on a dyno, all this is going to do it give you WOT numbers and tuning. An experienced tuner will want to drive the car and do some data logging so they can get you a tune that is suitable for the street as well as produce some nice ET's. Dyno numbers are great to brag about but if the car can''t idle or cruise whats the point.

Various tuners use different programs such as EFI live, HPtuners, etc etc. Not al tuning programs are made the same, some can see and log other parameters others can't.

5.3 heads can be swapped onto an of the LS engines, only issuse you'll run ito is you CAN NOT run the new 6.2 heads on anything that has a bore smaller than 4.00" The intake valve is ginormous and needs the extra cubes. Other than that you can swap 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0 heads all day long. There are slight variations with the different cast numbers and what engine they went on. All of them can benefit from a nice CNC or port job. There are 243 (LS1/LS6/LS2) heads that can be found for a decent price. A nice port job with an LS6 intake and your golden.

IIRC one of the car magazines just built a turbo 4.8 with a stock bottom end a mild cam and some head work and it poo out like 1100 HP. I may be slightly off on the numbers but i know it was over 1000HP.

I also want to mention that the 4.8 and 5.3 have the same block but I want to say the 4.8 has a different stroke on the crank as well as different pistons. Here's some more info on building an LSx engine http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1096/gen_iii_gm_small_block.aspx

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. camarokidz28

camarokidz28 Veteran Member

i hope you have some hi tech tools cuz ur gonna have to poor and aluminum casting of the block :p just kidding, should be different bore and crank

8. camarokidz28

camarokidz28 Veteran Member

i saw that they ran over sixty pulls if i recall

9. usmcz28

It was some ridiculous number, funny thing about it was they thought it was a 5.3 only to take it apart at the end and realize they had a 4.8 the whole time. 4.8/5.3 blocks have that stamped to the front so you have to check the pistons or block ID to find out if you have either one.

10. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

What he said...