6x9 speaker grills

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Chuck71RS, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On the underside of the grill opening is a very fine mesh material. What is it's purpose?

I want to paint the exterior but the paint would cling to the material and degrade the sound.

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Hi Chuck ,
    Sorry I don’t have an answer to your question but I’m curious as to what speaker grill you are using. Do you have a photo? I ordered some grills the other day that I think are a little more period correct than the ugly a$$ things that are in the car now. Thanks

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Probably to keep out bugs and dirt. Really can make a racket when bouncing around on the speaker cone. Might keep the sunlight off the cone somewhat too.

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Got some inexpensive ones from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-sp...ocphy=1026481&hvtargid=pla-350611466073&psc=1

The fine mesh material on the back
    *** keeps junk from getting on the hardware.
    *** Affects the lighting to hide the hardware. I could this masking after I took the material off of one and placed the other next to it. Found replacement material pretty close to what the grills will be painted.