7" Round LED Headlight Shootout

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by SMCZ28, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

2. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks! Very informative.

3. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Very nice thank you.

I'll stay with my original plans and go with the trucklites.

4. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

On page 18 of my build thread you can see the route I went. I bought 7" halo headlights that came with H4 halogen bulbs then bought H4 LED headlight bulbs and put them in place of the halogens.

5. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

How has that been working out for you? I thought about either purchasing a pair like that off ebay and sticking some LED bulbs in it or buying headlights that came off of a Jeep wrangler and putting some LED bulbs in it. A lot of places were saying to not do it because the reflectors in the housings wouldn't cast the light properly and probably blind some people.

6. J. Chris Davis

They have been working great for me so far. They are certainly brighter than halogens. I don't know if they are blinding to people since I'm driving the car, but visability is greatly improved with them. Brightness will also depend on which LED's you get. There are different options on brightness for them. The ones I bought are 80W 9000LM.

These are like the ones I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-80W-9000...-All-In-One-/261875758969?hash=item3cf902f779

7. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for posting those links...I had not seen them before. Good information!

I didn't want to spend several hundred dollars to convert to LED headlights so I went the route J. Chris Davis went. I got the Hella H4 7" round housings and the H4 COB (Chip on Board) style LEDs. They are a 6k pure white light (no blue hue). They are dramatically brighter than stock and a bit brighter than HID, but with better dispersal of the light. No relays needed and low current draw. The Hella lens disperses the light more than the stock style lens so other drivers are not bothered by the light. It is bright in front of the car, but what I like best is the brightness to the sides, which I never had with regular bulbs. Signs light up very nicely and I can see deer much earlier than before. Total cost was about $100 for the Hellas and $45 for the H4 LEDs.

flht99b and John Wright like this.
  8. J. Chris Davis

That reminds me. At the same time I did my conversion I did wire up the my headlights to relay power instead going through the dash switch from the factory. Did this shortly before I decided to switch to LED.

9. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

Are the housing you got these? http://www.myhellalights.com/index....eadlamps/vision-plus-7in-conversion-headlamp/

I would like to go J's route too mainly because I don't really like the look of most of those headlights except the trucklite ones and all those options are expansive except the china ones but since they say the china ones are horrible I don't think I would want to even try it.

10. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are probably a lot of brands available now, but I'd be curious to know where the Grote brand stacks up.