70 1/2 Camaro rebuild/pro-touring

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Dichard, Mar 14, 2019.

On the last pic, there is some damage to the cowl area close to the vin #, what’s the best way to fi

Poll closed Jun 20, 2019.
  1. Fab up some metal

87.5%
  2. Order this part form some where

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

I have been procrastinating doing this for sometime, figure I better not wait any longer both on posting this project and time of the year, I am in Mesa arizona and our winter is actually the best time to do things, because when we hit June we have to close the doors, turn the A/C on and hide from the sweltering sun for about 5 months.
    Anyway a bit about the 70 Camaro that is going to get the restored is a well abused 1970 1/2 made in Los Angeles Ca and spent its life in between California and Arizona, so there is minimal rust except in the areas that ALWAYS have rust no matter where you are in the world.
    After months, the camaro finally got its stall in the garage, I might ad, as the shell of the camaro was stripped outside of it well abused 350 and th350, sold down the road to some poor individual that was going to put it in his 80’s trans am.(good luck to that). The doors, front fenders were stripped from the shell and the body work was done, except for the fenders, which ended up needing to be replaced because they were twisted from the accident the previous owner never told me about.
    I bought the car under the mistaken truth that the upper and lower valance and hood were stolen, unbenounced to me when I finally found out the truth, at least to what I can surmise is the car was wrecked in the front enough to tweek the frame horn on the driver side. Yes the sub frame has since been replaced. One good thing out of this is the car came with a Heidt’s Front suspension already installed. LOL, saved some money there. Ha ha
    So now the car is in the garage and almost completely stripped and is in progress of getting a Quick Performance differential.
    Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    hubedobeedo likes this.
  2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Ouch that A pillar sure is ugly. Looks like you have a good start on it.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have seen people fix that with great metal working skills , however, based on your other work you should be able to get it fixed , with plenty of patience. Good luck!!

4. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

I’m actually thinking of fabbing up some 20 gauge that I have in my stash, shouldn’t be too hard to creat the right angle with a wooden form to get the right angles. If I remember I will post some pics when I do it.
    Also need to order some metal Shrinker/stretcher set from Eastwood, will need to make up some new fender lips in the rear on the passenger side, IF the quarter can be saved. Looking at it last night while finishing up the install on the Quick Performance 9 inch and noticed the RUST at the bottom of the wheel well lip. more to come..LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  5. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I know what you mean about the heat! I'm down in Tucson working on my 79 Z28. Like yours, it was born in Cali and spent some time in AZ. Mine is one of those rare instances where there is no rust at all. Good luck with the build, i'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

6. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

Got some bad news yesterday, was thinking that I was going to get away with replacing , JUST the rear lower quarter skin, ha ha, the jokes on me. It looked like this car in its past life was side swiped on the passenger side. There was bonds an inch thick on the side and in the rear section, the inner fender lip, where the bondo was removed was all bent to hell. So NOW I’m going with a complete quarter panel and rear tail panel, cause this poor thing is beat to a poo also..
    It must be the love of the Camaro, because there is going to be a lot of new panels on this car when I’m done. This car is definitely going to be a learning experience. Here’s a couple of pics. The one pic shows the quarter skin after I removed it, wow, what a hack job that was. Looks like a blind man put that on.

Attached Files:

7. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

BEAUTIFUL TA, that is one of my favorite years for Pontiac,

jmbz28 likes this.
  8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well that sucks, however, once you are done, it will be solid, and lighter!!

9. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Thank you!

10. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

QUESTION:
    What is the best panel vendor, who have the best fit, like I mentioned in the above post, I am replacing the passenger side quarter panel, rear valance and the roof skin. So I don’t want to screw around with these half assed panels that you end up welding stuff to and massaging for a month or two just to make them fit.
    So I’m reaching out to everyone on what there best choice would be. Cost is not a problem, cause when you look at the labor hours in relation to the cost of the panel, you come to a realization that the cheaper panel costs more..
    So any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.