'70 -73 Replacement for Rear Bumper w/Guards?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by oscc2, Apr 25, 2019.

1. oscc2

oscc2 New Member

I'm trying to find a correct aftermarket replacement rear bumper for my '70. It has the pair of bumper guards. I bought a bumper from NPD, but it's going back because their item does not have holes to mount the bumper guards. I called Rick's, and theirs also lacks the holes for the guards. I could do without the guards, but then the holes would remain in the lower valence. Has anyone found a decent aftermarket rear bumper for cars w/bumper guards?

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I thought the bumper guards were an option, and as such, you would need to drill the bumper for them, if you added that option?? Yes??

3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I like you purchased my rear bumper for my 71 and it also came without the holes. Fortunately my lower valance was needing painting so I opted just to just fill the holes and got the valance painted. Looks like it never had the guards

4. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

You will have to drill the holes in the bumper to add your bumper guards to it. Nobody makes a bumper with the holes all ready in it for them since the bumper guards was a option on camaros and standard on 70-72 Z28s

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

VF3 option from 70-72 also had the pre-drilled holes in the rear bumper for the bumper guards. 70-72 Z28 option had the rear bumper guards as mentioned earlier. 73 had taller rear bumper brackets that make the bumper stick out too far to attach the guards to the tail panel valance.