70-73 Seat Belts

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by BLKnBad71Z, Jun 4, 2010.

1. BLKnBad71Z

BLKnBad71Z Veteran Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Buffalo,NY,USA
    Wondering if anyone has used any other brand of 3-point seat belts other than the morris classic ones? I saw a few other kits in some of the camaro catalogs online. They were around $249 for the kit. I would like to update the old lap belts and get something that will actually do something in case of a crash. Those old ones are for looks only! Thanks

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    How about a 4th gen set

3. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Should we ask why you don't have the original shoulder belts, or are you talking about for the back seat?

4. 5spd540

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    My 73 dont have shoulder belts of any kind

5. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

I just ordered some 3 point belts from https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/ for my 72 Firebird. I got the non-retractable kind because I perfer them over retractors. They are made by Beams, they are not as expensive, but will require me fabricate a bracket to mount the should belt to the roof.

I will post some picks when I get them installed.

6. BLKnBad71Z

BLKnBad71Z Veteran Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Buffalo,NY,USA
    What i'm after is a retractor style that is kinds of like what is in newer cars. One of the classic camaro catalog places online had a kit that had all mounting hardware and bolts and it fit into 70-73's.

7. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Niceville, Florida
    I have read positive reports on the Morris classic belts. They are a bit pricey, but I intend to get them.

For what it is worth, I bought some 4th gen retractor style belts. After that, I learned that they supposedly will bolt up to late 2nd gens, but not early second gens like mine (1970). One COULD make these work in an early 2nd gen, but it would require fabricating a mounting pad on the inner roof structure. If your car isn't painted yet and welding on the inside of the roof is an option, it might work. Otherwise, IMO it is not worth the effort.

8. 5spd540

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Yes I just found out the same thing

9. morrisclassic

morrisclassic Member

Jan 23, 2007
    South Carolina
    3 point retractable seat belts

Our seat belts are year and car specific.Just bolt them into all of the factory mounting points. Look on our web page at the Camaro that had a set of our seat belts in it. We use stainless steel brackets, grade 8 bolts and our lanyard swivels. Also if your Camaro has a map pocket we have a special offset bracket so the reel clears the door panel and map pocket. We now have factory replacement seat belts for the 75-81 Camaros & Firebirds. New design seat belts coming soon
    Thanks to Everyone for buying our products, Billy

10. Chintzel

Chintzel Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2005
    NY, NY , USA
    Has anyone found a good semi-hidden place to mount non-retractable rear seat shoulder belts? I don't wait it to look like crap - the retractors look horrible so I am going with a nonretractable - for my kids' car seats and when they are older, I intend to remove them. I was thinking somthing under the package tray or behind the rear seatback?