70 camaro is this a true non factory built camaro?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by knightmoose, Apr 17, 2019.

1. knightmoose

knightmoose Veteran Member

20190417_145940.jpg I was under the impression my 70 never came equipped with factory air just thought the ac module in the car was for show. looking at vintage air which replaces everything yet 2 shops have looked under my hood and stated my car was a non ac car from the factory ? My question is what is all this junk in the pictures that all routes to the back of the module control unit ? last picture what is this diaphragm looking thing for ? thanks for advice-- 20190414_072139.jpg 20190417_145940.jpg View attachment 75734 View attachment 75735 View attachment 75736 View attachment 75737 20190417_150047.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It looks like an A/C dash and control unit.

Are there vent knobs in the kick panels?

a 70 Z28 could not get factory A/C but the rest of them could.

A pic of the engine side of the firewall would tell more about its build options.

3. knightmoose

engine pic 20190405_110819.jpg

4. knightmoose

20190417_213925.jpg 20190417_150000.jpg

5. knightmoose

no ac the 70 simply nahs the wrong module control unit in the car yet its all hooked up ? i think it suppose gto have the heater/de ice module 70heaterdeice.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. knightmoose

so can i rip all this crap out as vintage air replaces it all anyways if so you still buy the kit with no ac right since i believe now the car had heat/de-ice only no AC --

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Looking at the engine photo on my phone so it’s a little obscure but it looks like a factory AC car that has had the underhood and firewall parts removed. The heater hoses on a non-AC car go into the firewall much closer to the passenfer side head.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Looks like it is/was a factory A.C. car.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. knightmoose

hmm thank you -- took more pics hoping they are clearer if that helps- both classic industries kits cost the same price $1359 with or without ac -- just have to order the kit right kit either non ac car or ac car either way what I have is complete garbage right now and want the vintage air.

Please note; It appears there are "2 thick rubber hoses coming off the manifold and water pump that go into the firewall on the drivers side lower left - the kick panel on the passenger side appears to have a half way open vent with holes-- the drivers side has no holes and I cant see any vent. The module is holding on by dear life and I recall years ago it dangled and hit my leg and I wanted to simply pull it out but all kinds of stuff are connected to the back of it -- a shop is going to need to pull this crap out -- my only goal is to find out if this car ever had AC -- I think I have maybe 3% of crap that once was either a heating de-ice system or it was ac --

Attached Files:

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The car was for sure once a factory AC car. Still has the AC type of heater core but most of the underhood stuff is gone and someone fabbed up a blockoff system for the evaporator cover that is usually above the passenger side inner fender on the firewall.

The interior parts still look mostly there. Doubt much of it works like it is supposed to. The damper doors on an AC system were open-closed by the large round metal vacuum diaphragm units by your feet. Non AC cars used simple cables.

Not sure what you want to order. Not sure what Vintage air expects when you order a system for an originally AC equipped car. Maybe everything functional except for the compressor an condenser? If you order one for a non-AC car the interior parts are all different. then again since your stuff probably doesn't work anyway that may be the right move except you may be left without a defroster.

hubedobeedo likes this.