'70 Factory U-Joint?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Mulsanne Blue, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mulsanne Blue

Mulsanne Blue Veteran Member

Anyone have a picture of a factory ’70 Z28 u-joint, manual trans.? All I have is a p.n. from my ’70 parts book, lists it as 3967732. Was there more than one supplier?

2. DCL70

DCL70 Veteran Member

GM # 3967732 is the part number for the driveshaft slip yoke (Gr. 5.555). The GM part # for the u-joint kit for the 70 Camaro w/4BC is 386451 (Gr. 5.548). I have several NOS 386451 U-joints in my 70 Camaro parts collection. If I can find them I will post a picture.

3. DCL70

DCL70 Veteran Member

Here is a picture of two 386451 u-joints in sealed plastic. I don't want to open the plastic as I may sell them in the future.

The u-jt. on the left is from the GM box with part # 386451. There is only a forged letter "S" (about 1/8" in size) on the center section but only on one side. The caps are plain. I only have one.

The u-jt. on the right is from the white box stamped "3864451" and "J5-153-1004". The center is forged "U.S.A." on one side and "S" and "455" on the other side. The caps each have a "U.S.A." forging. I have four of these.

The two u-joints are the same part number but are not the same type of construction. They are made by the same company ("S" forging, maybe for Saginaw???) but were probably made at different times.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. Mulsanne Blue

Dave

Thanks for supplying the pictures and information, as well as for setting me straight on the p.n. You could also be right on the maker; although, my first thought was Spicer.

The boxes are interesting too. The one on the left is obviously for dealer over the counter use, but the one right looks like packaging that would be for an assembly line, in both box appearance and having the dual part number. The J5- is probably the manufacturer’s p.n. that links it to GM’s; a practice still commonly use today in any industry using a outside component . Do know any history of its origin?

Also,do both have grease fittings? I can see the one on the right does through the bag, but can’t tell on the left one.

Thanks, Scott

5. DCL70

DCL70 Veteran Member

Scott,
    Both have grease fittings. I think you are right about the "S". The more I think about it I believe that it does signify Spicer. I have two 70 Camaro 49.20" driveshafts. They only used the 49.20" driveshaft on the 70 Camaro & Firebird, no other years. I will check the u-joints on them and if they look original I will take a picture or two.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  6. M21RSZ28

M21RSZ28 Veteran Member

Parts Catalogs Are A Great Reference However Some Service Replacment Parts May Not Be Physically The Same As The Original Part Used During Assembly Line Production

As Is The Case Here With The Factory GM U-joints Used During Assembly Line Production

U-joints Used During Assembly Line Production Are A Bit Different From Service Replacement Joints In Serveral Ways

The Original U-Joints From My March 5 1970 Z28 Camaro Does Not Have The Zerk Fitting To Grease The U-joint

The Factory Original U-joint Has The Letter "A" Casted In The Center Of The Body On One Side And The "Chevrolet Bowtie" In A Circle On The Opposite Side

There Is Not A GM Part Number Stamped On The Joint And No Part Number Is Listed In The Assembly Manual - This U-Joint Was Only Available During Assembly Line Production

M21RSZ28

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DCL70

DCL70 Veteran Member

M21RSZ28,

You never cease to amaze me. I have owned a 70 Camaro SS350 from 1971 to 1977 and I've been seriously been collecting parts and studing the 70 Camaro for the last 19 years after I had "Corvette burnout" and compared to your knowledge it seems I like I know very little.

Of the three 1970 Camaro driveshafts (49.20" c/c) that I have in my collection one appears to have the original u-joints. I bought this driveshaft without the yoke. One u-joint has the number "2" (left picture) but I can't really tell what the other u-joint has but it might be a bowtie (right picture) or maybe it's a number "2". The u-joints are still on the driveshaft. The driveshaft must have been originally from a 70 Camaro with a 3-speed MT as the u-joints have 24 pins in the caps.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  8. Mulsanne Blue

M21RSZ28,

Dave is right; your knowledge on these cars is nothing short of amazing. And not to mention your willing efforts to share, thank you. Every time you respond it’s like attending a clinic. :happy:

Thanks to both of you, Scott

9. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Yeah! Amazing details! A free clinic!... I visited a free clinic, once. Had nothing to do with my u-joints though! :)

10. Mulsanne Blue

---

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019