70 L78 Camaro on eBay... interesting

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 70 SS/L78, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Some of the spoiler story is ok, but a 04A car is too early for the tall spoiler. Phil Borris is the expert on these, but I’ve never seen a BB car with the COPO spoiler. The spoiler ends also look too nice. The COPO spoiler ends we’re essentially hand made and actually didn’t fit the quarter panels very well. The ones made in 71 and later were much better quality.
    Very carefully worded listing. Doesn’t seem to be the original engine, so he somehow found another date code correct L78 Camaro block? He also lists the starter as not being a restamp, but nothing else?

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I get an uneasy feeling when I see the phrase "believed to be" too many times like in this listing.
    If someone buys the car, hopefully it will be more because they love the car and less of what it may or may not be.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't buy the copo spoiler story either. The copo spoiler was a z28 only copo option. I do agree it a nice interesting car. You don't see very many Daytona yellow L78s. I looked the pictures over again. I dont think this car started life as a Rally Sport. Its missing the door hood and fender belt moldings. I feel someone added the rally sport front end. I surely will be watching to see where this car goes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recall reading an article years ago regarding Chevrolet going to great lengths to install the new spoilers near racing events to deceive racing officials, so who knows. I'm guessing the listing should read Texas WORLD Speedway, not Texas MOTOR speedway, as World speedway was built in 1969 down around College Station, Tx as a road course track, whereas Motor Speedway was build in '97 in Ft. Worth as an oval. Dan Steakley Chevrolet is in Temple, Tx, which is about an hour out from College Station.

Looks like a nice car, well done in my opinion, and it doesn't really infer that it was an original L78, just says that's what's in there now. Regarding the usage of "believed to be", I agree there are quite a few in the listing, but it's actually similar to how I'd describe parts of my car after 49 years. - I believe my headliner is original, but I can't prove it. I believe my doors are original, but I can't prove that either...., etc. Kindof spoken like someone who knows cars, but doesn't want to go out on the line without being absolutely sure....,

Hopefully it will sell and go to a good home. - I love the yellow.

--

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

I like this car and it does look nice in Daytona yellow. I don’t want to change the direction of this post to “picking on the car” but; the hide-away wipers could be ordered with any Camaro right? So it wouldn’t prove an original RS option. And, how can you prove the partial build sheet belongs to this car if you can’t read the VIN on it? Is it just me or does the cowl tag look too crisp? Just some things I would question if I was looking to buy this car at this price.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I see your point, Joe. Unless you've had your car since day one, you might be hesitant to say certain parts are original. But for me, I would like to see more confidence from someone asking $67K for a rare car. If you don't know something, say it once and be done with it. Too much dealership talk for my taste but I get it.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Nice car but I am a picker for $70K, ha!
    1. Trunk weather strip joint in wrong location?
    2. Rear sway bar diameter too large?
    Still beautiful color!

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed and well said !

-

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I would be interested to see the VIN of the car as it was built the same week as my car.

hubedobeedo likes this.