70 RS Money Pit

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by huff_diesel, May 6, 2018.

1. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gosh, did you ever get a lot done this afternoon!!;)

Like one of those restoration shows.

Just kidding looks great

huff_diesel likes this.
  2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

For you, it took months, for us, it took 5 minutes. Been there, did that. I know what you went thru. Great Job!!!

huff_diesel likes this.
  3. huff_diesel

huff_diesel Member

Thanks guys. Been waiting to post but was wanting to get a jump on it...lol I'm on my 7 off so hopefully I will have plenty more this week.

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Nice find on the car and great work on it!

huff_diesel likes this.
  5. huff_diesel

huff_diesel Member

Well worked on the car some. Started test fitting panels. AMD panels have went right into place. Not gonna be to aggravating.

IMG_20180422_191551426.jpg
    Resized952018042495143147.jpg

6. Fosterdl

Fosterdl New Member

huff_diesel, I have one of those "money pits" too that I've been working on for 10 years now. My back half was good except for the dog legs in back of the doors, the trunk pan, and the rear frames. That's all done now, and I'm struggling with the front clip. It's all new parts except the valances. The doors will get new skins and I also replaced the rocker panels. I was fortunate to find a new dash pad for $100. The front frame is from an 80 "Bird" So I'm curious to know how much trouble you had installing the front sheet metal. My passenger's side is fitting pretty good, but the driver's side is giving me fits. How did you attack this? BTW, I built a 454 for mine with FAST fuel injection. Sweet!

huff_diesel likes this.
  7. huff_diesel

huff_diesel Member

Fosterdl, I spent a week trying to get gaps and stuff good. My passenger side door jamb on the inside was bent. Had to have been in a slight fender bender. Thats how I found the Mudd in the 1/4 and why I replaced it. With a full 1/4. So I could get jamb and all. When I bought the car I thought it needed a trunk pan, tail panel, and lower patches on the 1/4s. That's what I get for thinking. Lol.

Driver side went on great with very little issues. So we are opposite on issues. Lol. Passenger side went on better after I removed the quarter and straightened the inner jamb structure. The valances we're a pain in the ass. I have had to slot both upper and lower bolt holes to get to align up decently and grind edges.
    Once I'm done in the rear I will start on the front and finish. I'm sure they will be more work. Never did try to align my AMD cowl hood up before I removed the front end.
    I watched Double R Restorations on YouTube, Russ has a 72 and I used a bunch of his tips for my rear and will do on the front as well. Once I start back on the front I will try and get more pics.
    I'm switching from my Holley 750 HP to the Holley Sniper Kit. It should be here today or tomorrow.

8. huff_diesel

huff_diesel Member

Well have a little more done today. Went ahead got my lower deck filler panel fitted and all parts held on for final fitment.
    FB_IMG_1525797291771.jpg

Looking good and ready to start welding in. Hopefully will be done by the weekend.
    Mini tub looking good as well.
    FB_IMG_1525797280812.jpg

Drop offs looking good and can see here where I've got the mini tubs welded in.
    Resized952018050395145332(1).jpg

Trunk pan and the wheel houses are welded in. Will try and get better pics tommorow of the progress. I'm pleased as to how things are going.
    FB_IMG_1525797269114.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  9. huff_diesel

huff_diesel Member

Some nice goodies showed up. To bad they get to set for awhile . IMG_20180509_142708870.jpg IMG_20180509_142809937.jpg

10. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Sweet build! nice job hanging the sheet metal

huff_diesel likes this.