700r issues trani cable

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by johnnycamaroz, Oct 28, 2014.

1. johnnycamaroz

johnnycamaroz Member

Hey Guys,
    I just bought a 74 and somebody put in a 700r but still has stock shifter and cable.
    Needless to say you cannot put it in drive 2 or drive 1 it gets jammed and will not return.
    Is there a bracket or cable/bracket I need or even a new shifter??? to make it work correctly,
    This is my first700R conversion car.
    Any insight would be appreciated
    Johnny.
    also 1-2 shift is sloppy I heard the detent cable is line pressure and hard to get correctly adjusted. Oh boy sounds like im gonna go back to a turbo 400 ?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

I am just finishing up a 350 to 2004r swap in my 73 and had the same problem with the shift cable. Got the one from shiftworks and it solved the problem, but I thought it was overpriced.

Don't know what kind of carb you have, but the placement of the TV cable on the carb is very critical. I first had it attached in the back hole and had very late, hard 1/2 shifts. Moved it forward to next hole and now have very smooth shifts. There is a lot of good info on how to get everything adjusted, just do a search.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

A B&M Mega Shifter is what I'm using with my 700r4, its a 4 speed shifter. It works an haven't had any problems with it but its not real smooth either, an the gear indicator is worthless. But other than that I really like the 700r4. It took some time to get it set up just right but it shifts great an I love the overdrive. For a street cruiser / red light to red light racer its great. I'd only consister a TH400 for all out drag racing. You probably need a different cable for a stock shifter & you might have to take the pan off so you can tell if your getting a full pull from the cable then readjust the cable up by the engine. And you should have the correct bracket for the Carb your using if you don't have one. The cable adjustment is real important.

5. johnnycamaroz

johnnycamaroz Member

Thanks Guys I have a carter on it with plenty Adjustment to move the bracket forward or back but cannot seem to get the right.
    besides the cable is there any other adjustment I can make.
    also there is a wire hanging on the passenger side of the tranny?
    is that the lock up wire?

6. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. TexasT

TexasT Member

Read over tvmadeez.com

You might need a different spring in the tv valve. Are you using a gauge to set the tv cable? Pressure should jump when you have the cable disconnected and the engine idling and you pull the cable by hand.

8. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

I've got a factory-type horseshoe shifter in my 70 with the 700r4 and it works fine. Has the shifter from bowtie overdrives with the extra gate for the overdrive gear. I might be swapping it our for something more "pro-touring" soon though. The TV cable is a pita to me but mine works well. I have a FAST efi system that uses the same basic lever swing that a 4150 holley uses. I got the cable static adjustment right and from there it was just a little fine tuning. Just don't let it get loose......it destroys parts then(clutches etc) My cable came off and I just about burnt the trans up before I caught what happened. It still lives though!!

9. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

i have a b&m quicksilver, im looking into doing the od swap , what do i need for the shifter to make it accept the od?

10. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member