700r4 or 4l60e

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaro_73, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

anybody running a 700r4 behind there ls?

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My friend's son is did you have a question I can pass on?

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Not sure why you would, if you are running an EFI LS you would want to use the
    4L60E or 4L80E so the computer can control the shifting. Also, without the VSS
    input will the computer operate correctly? An LS TB wont have a provision for a
    TV cable either. I guess its all possible ... but why?

Tom

4. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bowtie overdrives has a kit to take care of the TV cable issue for the LS throttle body. I run one.
    http://www.tvmadeez.com/ls1_cam/

You need the VSS, you can buy one that adapts to your mechanical speedometer and the computer can be reprogrammed to accept the VSS signal, whether its 4K, 8K, 16K, 40K or any number in between. Dakota Digital and others sell the VSS needed by the computer.

I bought the jagsthatrun system that allowed me to install the 40K sensor and reluctor on the differential pinion. Its not that hard to do.

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

That said, it seems there isnt a benefit to running a 700R4 over a 4L60e, even if
    you have one, those extra parts will kill the budget. Heck, I have a 4L60E in the
    garage I would trade for a solid operating 700R4 (1988 or newer). I have a '86
    IROC that would benefit from the upgrade and cant run the "E" trans in that.

Tom

6. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

I've seen an ls1 nova run a 700r4. and i know I'll need the adapter ti the flywheel.

and there easier to get cheap and less electronics.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I'm really at a loss what you are trying to accomplish. We tried so hard to steer
    you in your engine purchase, and now you are veering off course again. If you're
    doing an EFI LSx swap .. you will have an azzload of electronics. I fear that you
    dont have a clue what you are getting into. If you have a PCM to run the engine
    then you all you have to do with the 4L60E is plug it in. Done. To run a 700 you
    will need someway to lock up the converter, some way to active the TV Cable, a
    source for the VSS and probably other things I am not thinking of at 3:45 am.

If you already had a built 700 I could see trying to use it, but buying one? This
    is why many people AT LEAST get a complete engine/trans/PCM/harness pullout.
    If you bought a wrecked 1998-2002 Camaro .. you would be ahead of the game.

I am looking for a 88-92 700R4 and haven't found a "cheap" one yet.

Tom

8. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

+1, I can't see going through all the effort of the LS swap then cobble together something to use the 700R4....the L460E is the way to go....

9. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

We run one on a TT 6.0 LS. The reason? Simplicity. This is a TT Chevy motor in a '04 Dodge Ram. Things were already complicated with the amount of crap we shoved under the hood. The engine has always been blow thru so the TV cable was a snap.

The down side? It was a Monster Transmissions 700SS and it lost fourth two days ago during a WOT 3-4 shift. I was never a fan of them. Still not after seeing it fail so quick (less than 1000 miles). The truck laughed at its 650hp rating.

10. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

id actually like to run a 4l80e but I'll keep my eye out for a 4l60

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.