700r4 or 4l60e

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaro_73, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

that engine for 800 is complete with everything and i can get the right 4l60e for a decent price.

and ya it needs some interior, brake work and wheels but id rather get the drivetrain out of the way first and i dont want an lt i might as well get an old sbc if i go with an lt.

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You do realize that the LS truck engines you are paying an arm and a leg for are
    the SAME hp rating as an LT1? I mean, your posts defy logic. If you think that
    an LT1 is on the same level of an old sbc, then PLEASE go with the sbc. There is
    boatloads different, READ .. do some research.

What do you plan on doing with this 300 hp truck engine after the install, when it
    has put you back 3000 to 5000 dollars once all said and done? You will have the
    same HP as an LT1 that would have cost LESS to install. Look at performance
    data between LT1 Camaros 93-97 and LS1 Camaros 98-02 and see it is just one
    or two TENTHS of a second different 0-60. The quarter mile is fun to boast about
    but who can afford THAT ticket these days?

This is the dis-service of this website with all the bloated hp ratings of LS swaps
    that these guys with no money hope to achieve with some magic recipe. I have
    put over a half million miles on LT1 engines, and I have two LS1's, I can say with
    NO hesitation what-so-ever that you would be PLENTY happy with an LT1. This
    site plays to the LS crowd WAY too much and it skews facts. Yes, LS can make
    a lot of hp, but as with an LT1 this requires more money to be spent. To get that
    truck engine, you are paying a PREMIUM for the SAME HP. If you do not have a
    budget to go through the engine to squeeze more out of it, then why? The LT1
    in the 4th Gen Camaros (same weight as a 2nd Gen) was good for 5.2 to 5.5 in a
    0-60 run, the LS1 was 5.1 to 5.4 seconds 0-60. Not the staggering difference I
    would expect to see with all the talk that goes on.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Chevrolet-Chevy-0-60-mph-Times.html

A couple LS guys on this forum claimed to just toss perfectly running LT1s in the
    recycling dumpster, maybe they would be kind enough to GIVE you one? Then you
    can test out just how 'inferior' it is. :rolleyes:

With bad brakes, maybe you should steer clear of that awesome LS power ..

Tom

3. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

i know your just trying to help sbc and i dont want to start a lt Vs ls debate but i did enough research on lt engines to know that theres a reason a lot of guys throw them away. they're just old all iron sbc with fuel injection. i just prefer to skip straight to ls.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The delivery is a little abrasive but he makes valid points. I sure wish everyone would get off the my way is the only right way band wagon with this stuff though.

Present your information and let it ride. No need to take every counter opinion personal. You know what they say about opinions right?

6. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Agreed.
    I do think an LT1 is a good intermediate step for someone wanting to progress from a SBC to an LS on a budget. It will require the same high pressure fuel delivery system; this is often a HUGE issue/expense when swapping to an LS engine. An LT1 swap will also teach the person how to wire a computer into the harness, add relays for the fuel pump, electric fans and much more. Heck, it probably gets you half way to an LS swap.
    It sounds like an LT1 with 700R4 is often available for just a few hundred dollars and in a year or two can be sold for about the same.
    I suspect an LT1/700R4 will also require a shorter driveshaft and different trans crossmember; fortunately a 4L60E is exactly the same size as a 700R4 and therefore the same driveshaft and crossmember can be used for the later LT1-> LS swap. Heck, it probably gets you 3/4 of the way to an LS swap.

7. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

$1400 for an LT1 is "evil".
    I just checked Craigslist in Detroit and there are complete engines with only 100,000 miles available for $350. Less for ones with low oil pressure.

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

By the way .. for those calling me 'sbc' .. its NOT Small Block Chevy, I am not the
    SBC fan boy you guys think I am.

"SBCA96" stands for Santa Barbara CAlifornia and "96" is the year I signed onto
    my email server. It has NOTHING to do with Chevy. I grew up with Studebakers
    I have no long term commitment to old school Chevy engines.

Its not here we go again, its ALWAYS there. You LS guys just don't see the long
    term damage you do. You got this kid all fired up, wasting money he doesnt have
    to end up with an engine that maybe makes a tiny bit more HP. Yay!

We went through this for YEARS with guys on the Studebaker forums with people
    installing "sbc" engines into Studes and tossing the Studebaker V8. They spend a
    ton of cash to do the swap and end up with a couple more HP. They could have
    just done a few things to the existing engine and had the "wow" effect of having
    an original engine. There is a factory stock Studebaker at the Pure Stock Drags
    running faster times than big block Yenkos.

If you think that an LT1 deserves to be tossed in a dumpster, you haven't done a
    bit of research, heck its painfully obvious you haven't done enough LS research!

Go blow 1000 dollars on a 200k used up truck engine and throw a ton of cash at it
    to get it installed into your 2nd Gen and lets meet up. My wife can race you with
    the LT1 swap and we can see if all that extra money and the "LS" bragging rights
    paid off. We have nothing to lose, you are EXPECTED to win. ;)

Lets see by how much.

Tom

10. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No one put a gun to the OP's head telling him to go out and buy the first impartial engine set up that came along. Good deals are out there IF you are patient, I see them all the time around here.
    The OP wants it NOW and in his quest, is getting burned in the process. Its no one's fault except for him for making rash decisions and several of us on here have chimed in on that effect.

With the aftermarket, it is very easy to make a very streetable engine fairly cheap that an LT1 engine cant even touch. So quit the LS bashing, its really getting old.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.