700r4 or 4l60e

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaro_73, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

none...I've run it down to 1/8 tank...no issues.

It's the same exact setup all the 4th gen LS Fbodys used (except the emission part). Someone here explained how the check ball in the fuel bucket works. The very instant the pump senses it's sucking air (cause you are low on fuel..turning...etc), the check ball stops the pump from pulling from the tank..and directs it to draw fuel from the bucket. Now fuel is always in the bucket...because the return line is always returning fuel to it. It's a great setup for people who do not have wild HP setups. Stock fuel tanks...to my knowledge ...do not have baffles. The "bucket" is the trick. The fuel in the bucket also cools and lubricates the pump.

This setup works well, it's quiet, and is not terribly expensive. I'd like to have a "Rick's stainless steel" tank...but I didnt not want to pay what they are asking for it (?$1000?).

I do get a gas smell while my car is parked in my garage. I am going to connect the fuel vent line from the 4th gen pump bucket to a charcoal filter from a motorcycle (ebay-Harley Davidson). I've read it takes care of the smell....otherwise I am out $10 and will continue to leave my garage door "cracked" to let the fumes escape.

2. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Steal the LS motor and the automatic trans and ECM and the wiring harness all in one fell swoop. Get the gas tank w/mounted fuel pump too.
    There is No such thing as 700$
    All your life you have seen it as $700,, which is the ONLY way.

You can upgrade it all later.
    This will give you a feel for it as it will be something that will have to be learned through trial and error.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

This is certainly one of the payoffs of all the effort I put into mine. With the car
    in the garage you CAN NOT smell it. I was doing that bumper work on it and not
    one hint of car smell. I have the 1999 Camaro SS in there now and it has a very
    strong oil smell from the oil leaks and oil underneath. That is after cleaning all the
    bottom with Super Clean.

Tom

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Well the guy sold the complete pullout for 700 today. im selling my shortblock tomorrow for 600$ & i need to get rid of the tranny now lol. now im on the hunt again and am not buying anything unless its complete! Wish i lived farther north where all the 5.3s are cheaper lol

5. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

i found this what do you guys think?
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/4605311264.html

Also a guy got ahold of me about a 5.3/4l60e he pulled out of his 04 truck. it has 200k on engine but the tranny was rebuilt 4 years ago with lowish miles. he wants 800 for engine and trans but doesnt come with accessories wiring harness or coils? good deal or no? the 200k worries me cause the car will be my daily.

6. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't buy it. For God's sake, be patient. Unless you can see it in the vehicle first with everything on it, don't buy it. Period. This is kinda getting old.:crazy:

7. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

i dont excpect to see it running in the vehicle before i buy it.. everything i look at is mainly from junkyards or of course craigslist in which they've already been pulled.

8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

The harness, PCM and coil packs can be very expensive.
    Looking on ebay, a used harness is $225-$300; used coil packs are $200; PCM is $150.
    The PCM needs to be compatible with the harness and the engine. While many mixed parts will work, others will not. For example, a '98 PCM will not work with a '99 harness. A (newer) engine with a 58 tooth reluctor will not work with an (older) 24 tooth PCM.
    That is why we are highly suggesting getting a complete engine, harness and PCM. Otherwise you will be buying expensive parts that might not work together.

9. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

ya i was just throwing the one with 200k out there for opinions. i still plan on buying a complete one cause now i know the prices on basically the whole ignition system needed for that motor.

but what about the one from the craigslist add? comes with everything and 800$ is pretty cheap compared to almost all yhe other ones ive seen complete.

10. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Agreed. Be patient.

So you drop $800 on an engine..now what? What about a tranny? Engine mounts, oil pan, accessory brackets, etc etc etc. Have you priced these items yet? You are in Texas....you should be able to find a late model GM truck, 2wd, complete RUNNING! Look for complete setup...sell the stuff you mistakenly bought...research research...make a list..look look..you will find something. In your search, like I said before...keep your eyes open for an older LT ( f body or b body) setup as well as the late model truck/fBody.

What's the condition of your 73 camaro? Can you do something else like remove existing engine...sell...finish interior...etc etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.