700R4 shifting problem

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Mred355383, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Mred355383

Mred355383 Member

Hi Guys, I recently rebuilt a 1989 700R4 with a B&M kit. I went all the way thru. Ok now i put it in the Camaro and It shifts great 1 to 2 but too soft or slow 2 to 3. I'm not sure where to look to solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ps: I normally build engines and have done a dozen or so 350 trannys over the years using b&M kits and clutches and they worked fine...

------------------

2. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

The best thing to do is go to http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19 and have them answer it for you.

Just don't let them know it's for a 2nd gen Camaro. They'll lock the thread.

Anyway...

I put only a B&M shift improver kit in my '92 Camaro (same exact tranny you have) and noticed a slight increase in RPM right in the middle of the 2-3 shift.

A lot of guys immedietly said "Your 3-4 clutch pack is on it's way out." That was ~25,000 miles ago, so that wasn't it.

A couple of guys said that the B&M kit increases line pressure from 1-2 shift, but actually looses some in the 2-3 shift because of the sleeve that you install in place of the spring in the accumulator.

That makes more sense since it only did this right after I installed the kit. [​IMG]

So... that's my guess. As I said, go there and ask. Just be ready to get flamed for using a B&M kit in a TH700-R4. They don't like B&M.

------------------
    350CID, Vortec 062 heads, Magnum 280, Performer Intake, Holley 650 DP, 3.42 rear w/ Auburn posi, 2600 Stall/TC

3. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First thing to check is TV cable adjustment...

How did you adjust it?

Might have to play with it slightly to see if it improves.

What servo did you use?

What mods did the B&M kit have you do to the Servo.

What is the clearance on the 2-4 band?

Did you install an updated 3-4 clutch pack, or change anything here?

Sounds like you have slow 3-4 clutch apply, it is difficult to get a good 2-3 shift on the 700. This is the most critical upshift this trans makes, because the timing is very important.
    The band has to release as the 3-4's apply. if the band releases too fast and the 3-4's apply slow you get a cutaway, if it releases to slow and the 3-4's apply too fast you get a bind-up.

I would check the servo seals and band clearance first, since it can be done in car.

If the seals to the 3-4 clutches are leaking it will cause the same problem also the teflon seals on the stator...

4. Ls1smlblck

Ls1smlblck Veteran Member

Problems is the B&M kit, they are junk. I out one in my 700r4 and had probs. Took it out and went with a transgo, no probs after that and solid shifts.

------------------
    81 Z28 350
    700r4, 3.42
    T-tops
    My 81 Z28

Another pic

Wheels

5. TwoFast4Lv

TwoFast4Lv Member

The 2nd gear servo is the 3rd gear accumulator. One of the things I would start with is checking the 2-4 band clearance with the proper tool. Flipping the 4th gear servo over is not the correct way to adjut it either [​IMG] this just shortens the over all trow the pin has to travel.

If you find the band is good to I would install a Sonnax 3rd gear accumulator check valve and drill the 3rd feed hole according ly [​IMG]

Good luck!

------------------
    Ellis
    14s..13s...12s....11s.....

6. chris718

chris718 Member

third cluth accumulator hole in the seperator plate and not the third feed hole is the place to start .also never reinstall the helper springs back in the 3,4 clutch pack.tyry installing a th400 intermediate band return spring in place of the intermediate band return spring used on the 700r4.this will knock off the band faster without causing a clunk on the driveshaft .most kits plug the 2nd accumulator and give you bang 1/2 shifts but never address the INHERENT PROBLEM WHICH IS INADEQUATE PRESSURE RISE TO THROTTLE ANGLE RATIO .THIS IS THE REAL CAUSE OF SHIFT QUALITY CONCERNS IN A 700R4 TRANSMISSION.we have done our homework in this department and have the solutions to these problems.
    ------------------
    the ultimate in drag racing automatics,www.ckperformance.com

------------------
    the ultimate in drag racing automatics,www.ckperformance.com