71 RS - abandoned 23 years

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Really nice Chuck!!!! Great job, repairing what most would consider, to far gone , and making it usable once again!! Great job!!

Chuck71RS likes this.
  2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Nice. Everything looks new..............or better.

Chuck71RS likes this.
  3. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

You do nice work ! thx for the posts, we are learn from this stuff !!

Chuck71RS likes this.
  4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Great to meet you and Christine last Saturday, Chuck. Thank you for the rocker panel moldings and hardware. Very cool to see your work in person and loved your set-up.:bowtie:

5. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Improvise The handle broke on the mop used to wet the floor. Had a closet clothes hanger rod in the wood pile so attached it (the wood is a pile on the patio for had to move it all out of the garage to build the spray area)
    100_8043.JPG

New vinyl pieces ready for install: Headliner, sun visors and package tray cover

Went to a trim shop to have the vinyl for headliner and package tray cover glued to 1/4" foam plus the sun visors covered. The shop charged only $30 to glue and $35 for each visor. I would have spent more then $30 just for adhesive if I did it myself and I am sure my result would not have been very good. Initial quote was $45 for each visor and $37.50 for the headliner. I brought the package tray cover vinyl and foam to them after the quote. Thank you "Cy-Fair Upholstery and Glass".

Package tray cover sprayed first. Stapled it to a 2x2. The staple holes will not show when installed. The backside was masked off. Sprayed SEM adhesion promoter then PPG Onechoice with temp in the upper 80s and humidity in the upper 50%. Onechoice dries fast and even more so at this temp. Xten gave me some spray suggestions but I moved the gun to fast resulting in streaks and dry area. Used 500 grit to swipe the entire surface, sprayed again and the finish is uniform. Still a few dry spots so 2000 swipe and the surface is smooth
    100_8032.JPG 100_8034.JPG
    The uniform color is coming together (headliner down to the bottoms of the panels). New scrim will be attached to the speaker grills.
    100_8037.JPG

Sun Visors Finally found a use for the allen head wrenches (lol)
    100_8038.JPG

Vinyl Headliner - 54" x 57" Masked off on the backside. PPG Adhesion Promoter was sprayed first but WAY to much was applied with massive runs. At some point it must dry for data sheet says to gray scuff if not coated after 1 hour (at 70). After 24 hours it was still tacky. Laid it horizontal and washed it with lacquer thinner. The rags were sopping wet with the stuff. The promoter was removed and no visible signs of damage to the vinyl.

Had to spray the vinyl vertical because there was no room for horizontal

A masking tape line was placed on all four sides with distances marked for amount of overlap. Provided a gun tip aiming point and alignment during a pass

Sprayed adhesion again and went on fine. Followed with two coats of dye but still moved the gun to fast. Had a few stripes and some dry areas. 500 grit swipe, respray and no stripes. A few rough areas so 2000 swipe will be done

100_8036.JPG 100_8039.JPG

Buzz Test - Package Tray Previously posted the package tray metal will concave when the speaker fasteners are tightened. Tried a wood overlay but it prevents the new package tray cover from installing as it should. Needing thin material, trying 16 gauge (1/16") sheet metal secured to the try with 1/8" rivets. To abate buzzing will apply several layers of 3m duct tape to the underside of the sheet metal. Before rivets are inserted, RTV will be placed around the drilled rivet holes

Will it work......?? Need to know before the glass goes in so will test with the stereo
    100_8044.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    dcozzi likes this.
  6. Chuck71RS

NO BUZZING: Applied 7 layers of 3m 2900 series duct tape to the back of the 16 gauge plate. Installed the speakers with the 16 gauge held in place by just the 4 speaker screws. Did place a piece of 1/4" foam between the grill and plate for this is how the new vinyl cover would be installed

Tested for buzzing by connecting the stereo, inserting a cd and cranking up the volume. No buzzing or other vibration noise was heard. No pop rivets had been installed but will install some near the outer edge so the plate is flush with the package tray. Was slow getting to the test for I was a bit apprehensive thinking something was going to blow out

It was GREAT to hear tunes coming out of the speakers. First, just to know that nothing was damage but also just to hear it. Have not heard anything in more then 18 months. Played a couple tracks on The Smithereens first cd. Did not play to long for doesn't take long to run down the battery

dave@ztech and BillyDean7173 like this.
  7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chuck,

Your car is looking fantastic! I can't wait to see her out on the road, hopefully shortly after I get back to Houston which could be around the end of July, early August.

8. Chuck71RS

Headliner - 3rd spraying still not good Set up in the breezeway between the garage and the house. This time the headliner was flat on plywood covered saw horses. Put up those free Harbor Freight tarps on the side of the house and garage. As with the other two sprayings, have streaks in the color.
    100_8050.JPG
    Called the PPG distributor for places that buy OneChioice from them so I can ask those shops if they would spray the OC. Went to one place Friday but language problems left me uneasy. Two other shops to go to this morning

Another Mile Stone Completed: My spray gun work is complete so will be taking down the spray booth. Sure went through a lot of HF 5-pack of paint cups. The HF purple gun worked great. Sprayed a lot of epoxy, high build, sealer, plastic adhesion promoter and texture coating with it. Even some acrylic enamel on the package tray

Installed 4" speakers under the dash Modified the am radio speaker shell to attach the pair of 4" from the lower door panel
    100_8053.JPG
    A tight fit with less then 1/16" between four of the six 4" fastener locations and the side of the shell
    100_8054.JPG
    The tweeters extend above the shell so built up the edge with 1/4" headliner foam. Will trim off the excess
    The build up also threw off the alignment of the fastener hole so drilled a new hole
    100_8061.JPG

100_8064.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  9. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Nice work on Chuck adapting the speaker shell to the dual speakers

10. Chuck71RS

Thanks Bob. Did not occur to me to mount the speakers in the am radio speaker shell till I found such mounting in a previous forum post