71 RS - abandoned 23 years

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The vents do not fit if reversed.

By special request

Pretty good photo as to actual finish. Hard to capture with my camera, lighting and the lightness of sandalwood
    100_8137.JPG
    Another good finish shot
    100_8138.JPG
    "Fords Chevy Service" dealership decal made it through the process with almost no damage. Lovin that singe piece rear spoiler not covering the qtr rear and not obstructing the view of the horizontal body line
    100_8145.JPG

100_8139.JPG 100_8142.JPG 100_8146.JPG 100_8132.JPG

100_8143.JPG 100_8144.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Chuck
    Great looking paint work. You are definitely a jack of all aspects of restoring the car.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

That's what I wanted to see! Looks great!
    I didn't mean to reverse the vents. Try putting them on the inside of the opening of the metal dash.

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chuck, she is looking amazing!! I hope to see her in person when I am back home in December!

5. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

The paint looks great, Chuck! Every time I see your car makes me think about going back to the original Sandalwood on my 71.
    I like the look of the short spoiler on your car. I'm definitely making that switch on 71 since the 73Z has the tall spoiler. I want the cars to look as different as possible from each other.

6. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

I like.

7. Chuck71RS

Header ready for install. New turn signal fixtures. "Camaro" emblem is 1986 but still looks great. Has been installed and started working a final hood alignment. Adjustments pretty good but need the windshield installed to check for wiper arm strike
    100_8161.JPG

Finished polishing stainless steel
    -----Tail light outer rings
    . One had to be sanded first with 320 (then 500, 800, 1000, 1200 2000), the rest were 1,000, 1200, 2000). Put a 2 1/2" wool buffing wheel in the drill, loaded white rouge and worked the surface. The ss never shined like this
    100_8153.JPG
    ---- Rear Bumper bolts
    Bottom 4 - before
    Upper 5 - after
    Notice 9 instead of 7. Two are to fill holes drilled for a short lived but disaster trailer hitch in 1976.
    100_8200.JPG
    Door Locks - quite a difference. Started with 500 grit. The yellow reflection in my NastyZ28 T-Shirt.
    100_8201.JPG
    Repaired trunk lock bezel - Early in the rebuild, one of the fastener posts broke off. Tried Loctite super glue but did not hold. Bought a repro but posts were not threaded. Repaired the original again using "KwikWeld" (JB Weld) Preferred JB Weld for stronger bond but set time is 4-6 hours and could not clamp the post to the bezel. The other set in 6 minutes After full cure, installed and post remained attached

Cup Holder - console rear: Here is the rudiment. Will hold a soda can or water bottle. The front edge needs to be enlarged 3/4"
    100_8181.JPG
    Installed stainless steel trim - vinyl roof: After one set of reproduction clips found a GM match. Xten provided a reference to W&E Sales Inc 2165 and the photo looks like the few original I have. Called WE distributor got a price of $28. I remembered seeing a close by paint place (BCI) had a wall full of fasteners. They closed but had another location in Conroe about 50 miles north of me. Called then and they had a cross-reference to the same part made by Disco 9895PK. A package of 50 for $5.70 (w tax). Just so happened they were making a delivery to a location very close to me so they dropped it off at no charge. Posted to the "Great State of Texas" about this so members know "BCI Supply" is good place to deal with

Installed driver and center pieces. The passenger side is held up to install a new mounting post for one broke off
    100_8202.JPG

Installed Fender Emblems: Fenders were painted off chassis and one reason was to install the emblems because it can not be be done when installed. Maybe the fender can be pried outward but did not want to do this. But for various reasons, had to finish the spraying with the fender installed.

To install the emblems, adhesive would not have worked. At least not for me. The back outer edge is 1/16" wide (not viable). with an inlay 1/16" deep. Building up adhesive in the inlay without running down the sides or squeezing out the side is something I did not want to risk. This left dual sided tape

Used 3m 4991, 90 mil thick (0.090"). A bit tedious cutting all those small pieces of tape, placing in the inlay then peeling off the backing. The installed emblems have a strong hold and pretty well flush with the fender

100_8203.JPG
    100_8206.JPG

Always liked the black inlay with chrome around the outer edge
    100_8205.JPG

Passenger door trim: Found the front and rear posts are pop rivets and the trim clips wold not install. Don't get this for the trim was attached when the rebuild started. The other four posts are phillips head. The drive side posts are all flat heads.
    100_8186.JPG
    Had to grind down the posts. Was expecting to go to bare metal but not to large an area. Made a poor choice of tools and my use was not to good. The front was not to bad but the rear, the surface removal goes below the bottom of the trim about 1/4" and 3/8" wide. Was seriously down the rest of the day by the screw up but also how the heck do I fix it? Refinish the entire door? Fortunately got some good repair guidance from Xten

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    QUAKE_WARS, xten, bodymanbill and 2 others like this.
  8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

She's looking great Chuck! I will definitely have to come by to have a look at her when I get back to Houston in December.

9. Chuck71RS

Come on by. Maybe Christine will be on the road by then and we will go for a run

Da-bigguy likes this.
  10. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Chuck Who painted the car?? I bet it feels good to getting it back together!