71,..Under-Dash,..Connector with Two Gray Wires

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Redliner, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Redliner

Redliner Member

I'm putting together my under-dash wiring and I'm not sure what the connector with two gray wires is. It comes off the instrument cluster harness near the headlight and wiper switches.

Thanks in advance.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Grey is for lighting, heater control panel bulb? Don't recall it having a connector and it is shown as one black one grey wire, what es the connector look like?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That’s my guess.

The heater control panel has a bulb and the wires would be grey.

4. Redliner

Redliner Member

The connector you're referring has a gray and black wire with a bulb socket on the end to illuminate the heater control. It's part of the main dash wiring harness.

The mystery gray wires (two) and connector I'm referring, exits the end of the gauge panel harness with the headlight wiring/connector and the wiper/washer wiring/connector. It has an ordinary plastic connector at the end of the two gray wires with a lead of about 8 inches.

Any ideas?

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

These two gray wire, do they go to one terminal of a single connector end or are the gray wires into two separate terminals into a two spot connector ?.

I have to think the gray wire is an illumination wire and if you could, maybe do a test to see when there is voltage or ground on these gray wires and if they vary with the rotation of the headlight switch if the headlight switch is pulled halfway out or all the way out.

I know I'm REALLY behind the times with no cell phone that can take pictures but maybe post a picture of these wire(s) and connector and how it might be coming out of the loom ?.

I know you asking questions but is it maybe some wires someone else put into the car at some point ?.

Jim

6. Redliner

Redliner Member

Two gray wires into a single white connector. See photo below. The mystery wires are in the middle between the headlight and wiper/washer connectors. This is a brand new wiring harness from Lectric Limited, the best IMO.

Gray Wires.jpg

7. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Ok, you have what looks like a gray wire and then a gray with white tracer going to a two wire connector with each wire going to an individual terminal in the plastic connector end. We also know now you are dealing with an aftermarket harness but now I'm wondering are they indeed gray ?. How close are these gray colors to looking like the gray for something like the instrument panel dash light wire ?.

Do you have any info as to what harness from Lectric Limited you have so maybe one can look at a wiring diagram from them to give some answers ?.

I do wonder how close Lectric is to laying out the harness they make to match the color codes of the original harness.

Just so you know, there are only so many solid colors to use to cover wires and this is why when wires are covered they can if needed add extra things like tracer colors and/or colored rings every so often to give more ways of differentiating a solid gray wire for example from a gray wire with a white tracer color added and then also from a gray wire with a blue tracer color instead of a white tracer color. Now add in 2 silver bands every so often on the wires insulation and now you have yet another way to keep things separated. The older cars had a lot less circuits compared to what is out there today.

Jim

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  8. Redliner

Redliner Member

The wiper/washer connector is in the photo,..the blue, light blue and black wires. In the photo, look at the middle gray wires and white connector,..that's the mystery.

Thanks for your time BTW.

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Optional plug for under dash "courtesy" lights?

10. Redliner

Redliner Member

Hey Twisted,..I agree, most gray wiring is for illumination on these old Chevy's. But almost always, they end with a socket (for a bulb) connector.

Perhaps somebody can confirm your theory???