71,..What is this Brown Wire/Connector Under the Dash?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Redliner, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Redliner

Redliner Member

Still installing my wiring new wiring harnesses. See attached photo. Does anybody what this brown wire/connector goes to?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like it goes to something with a substantial current draw.

3. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Possibly power to the blower motor switch ?.

See if the wire is powered up when the key is in the run or accessory position and then dead at all other key positions. Then maybe see if the wire goes dead if the heater fuse is removed from the fuse block.

Jim

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm interested in finding out what this one is. Electrical questions, I'm usually combing schematics trying to answer the questions posted, find it kind of fun. Not much on 71 in the info on Nasty. Looks like a pretty heavy wire, so blower motor ight be a good guess, like pulling the fuse part, that should help narrow it down!

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

I have been involved with the Nova models for years and on another site, one of the members sent me all of the year wiring diagrams for the Chevy II Nova models and I then went through circuit by circuit tracing them out with all of the other circuits shown and then copied and erased the other circuits to where just the one was visible. I've found out this helps and is better than even the colored diagrams out there. It just leaves less chance of not following a wire or circuit from one point to another.

Here for example is a full diagram with just the starter solenoid circuit colored in:

[​IMG]

And then the same thing but with all the other circuits removed:

[​IMG]

Hopefully other members here can supply diagrams.

I will add to it makes it hard doing a google search for a wiring diagrams sometimes only to have the search looking for let's say a 71 Camaro wiring diagram specifically and it then posts results for a 73 Chevelle.

Jim

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

See if this is the same wire in your picture. If it is, it has a large brown wire and a smaller ga black with purple stripe connected to it. It comes out of the harness connected to the air conditioning and fan switch. Edit..BTW, mine is a 70 Camaro [​IMG]

7. Redliner

Redliner Member

Hey John,..you may be right. My 71 is a non-A/C car which would explain why I can't find what my mystery wire would go to.