71 Z28, numbers painted in each color

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by MillerMotorsports, Nov 20, 2019.

1. MillerMotorsports

MillerMotorsports New Member

who would I contact to reach put for even that info. that would be a starting point at least

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think you are going to find that information anywhere. GM released the color numbers for the later second gen Camaros. I suspect that if they had the same numbers for the early years, they would have released them too at the same time. That tells me that they don't exist.

3. MillerMotorsports

Well that sucks, it would have been nice to know. guess I could just make a number up. :))))

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

1 of xx is cool to say, but you can easily say it’s a rare color as you don’t see factory yellow Camaros too often.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yellow was popular on Camaros in 1969 and 1970 when Chevy called their yellow, Daytona Yellow. That name seemed to sell the color to the customer. After that, Chevy went to a different shade each year with different names that didn't seem to be as popular.

Hugger Orange was much the same. The Camaro was sold as "the hugger", so Hugger orange was popular in 1969 and 1970.

It probably helped in those two years to sell those two colors because they were available only on Camaro, Corvette, and SS Chevelles. People associated the colors with performance.

6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I agree with Gary,My 72 is #56 "cream yellow" same color used on gramma skylarks and cutlasses even venturas.I've had plenty of people ask me over the years why my paint doesn't look right-everyone remembers the vibrant Daytona yellow!! Later Steve!!

7. MillerMotorsports

Thanks guys for your imput. sure wish GM would have tracked the color/model output of each but it doesnt really matter at this point, We all turn a head or two when we put them out there on the street. I'm just trying to put a story line together about my first new new car purchase and the repurchase after 48 years and all the water under the bridge. Not as easy as one would think. Still find it hard to believe I was able to make it happen though and in the condition it's in. Lots of good owners along its path.

8. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

That sound like a great story- more details!!!,I was able to trace my car back to the original owner but I've had mine 26 years so it was a lot easier then plus fewer owners.Any pics from back then? I posted a couple my original owner gave me from back in the day !!! Tell us more! later Steve!!

9. MillerMotorsports

I'm truly surprised that the information is not readily available but I'd still say if a guy could get to the right source it could be obtained. Another surprise is that no one else has persuaded this on say the 69 and older camaros. I mean a color is simply a color and some seem more desirable then others BUT how rare is each color, that interest me and could be a value builder.

10. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

I will tell you that for 1971 CORVETTES - SUNFLOWER YELLOW is the rarest or 2nd rarest color. out of 21000 cars there were somewhere around 1100 Sunflower Yellow - about 5% of production.

There is no WAY there was 10% of Camaro production was in SUNFLOWER YELLOW.