'71 Z28 RS Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Squeaky192, May 27, 2015.

1. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Have a thread going in the 70-73 section, figured I'd make one over here as I'm actually working on it now.

I inherited this Z28 from my uncle last year and finally got the car down to Texas this weekend thanks to my brother and parents. It's a 1971 Z28 RS car my uncle picked up in California in 1992 and parked inside.

All build sheets and such were gone, but the car is matching numbers. :) Glad I can verify it being a true Z car now, although it was pretty obvious it was. (8k RPM tach, hidden wipers, floor mounted gas pedal, etc.)

The goal is to convert it back to the black interior it originally was and get it running/enjoy it. Has a little rust that will need addressed, but money-wise getting the paint and body is lower priority at the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Interior was gross, 20 years of being a field mouse village didn't help the scent, so I got it all the carpet out and tossed as it will be getting the correct black interior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pulled the valve covers and everything looked surprisingly good.
    [​IMG]
    Matching numbers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Few shots of the rust on the quarter and fender.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    Very nice looking car. Glad you have it and will be putting it back on the road. How's the wire harness look, especially if the mice were living in it. My '71 was sitting in my Grandmother's barn for almost 30 years, half of the harness is missing.

I'll keep an eye out for your progress.

Good luck!

-Mark

3. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    It doesn't appear to be awful, but I have noticed a few wires chewed on thus far. Seems they enjoyed the seats and such more. :( The main problems from the mice were the soft goods and they smell they created, but I've yanked and tossed the carpet and such by now, and the car doesn't have the terrible smell it once did. Also, from sitting in the humid hog house, all the rubberized pieces like the headlight switch knob and center console lid are super sticky.

I am going to rewire it soon, just am cleaning it up and figuring out where I need to start. Probably will get it in the air and get the brakes going next, however, I'll be working the Power Tour so it'll be a bit before there's any progress more than likely.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Well did you finally get the car back to texas?

5. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes sir. Just remembered you had PM'd me.

My roommate bought a 3 car garage house so I was able to bring it down.

6. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Pulled the side trim/molding off and was pleased to see the rockers look good, but both fenders and rotted.

7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Both my front fenders looked like yours and I was torn between buying aftermarket fenders for my 71 but I went down to a guy that runs a body shop here and he totally cut out the rust and welded in new metal and made the originals like new for the same price as the aftermarket fenders would of cost me and that way I was sure of the fit of the factory installed fenders.

8. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    That definitely seems to be a better option. One of my co-workers knows a body guy that does good work, I'll have to look into how much he'd want.

Messing with the car a little today, haven't really decided what I'm doing though. :screwup:

9. volcanomike

volcanomike Veteran Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Tehachapi, CA
    Do not go with repo fenders they're garbage I ran into too many problems. I finally found an original one off another car that fit like a glove.

10. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    I hate rust, good luck with your project. POR-15 the underside? :)