'72 gas tank modifications for EFI

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by hutchenc, Oct 9, 2011.

1. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

I'm gonna do an EFI swap on my '72 this winter. I know there were two different tanks on the early 2nd gen Camaros. Can someone tell me how to tell what I've got and explain the differences between the two?

Also, I need a plan for the return line...I'd welcome any suggestions you might have.

Note: I will not be spending $1000 on an EFI tank so don't bother with that suggestion. It's just not feasible for me. I am aware of the RobbMC products and might consider going that route though.

2. kboxx

kboxx Veteran Member

I think the differences were vented and non-vented tanks. I have a 70 which is non vented and the 71-73 were vented. Mine vents through the gas cap, and yours vents through a hose to a charcoal canister I believe. I did an LS2 swap and used the Spectre EFI tank. I think it was around $350 bucks.

Here is a link to my project:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219206

3. studsZ28

studsZ28 Veteran Member

Vetteworks.com makes a nice adapter plate that you weld to the top of the tank and then your able to use a fuel pump module out of a late model 4th Gen camaro. Its what Ill be doing for my LS swap, due to the in pump fuel pressure regulator. They also make a fuel line that splits and is used for the return. Just a suggestion, check em out and see whatcha think.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do the samething everyone else has done with their LS Swaps.

Get a Vette regulator, and mount it close to the tank. Short return run.
    Here's my tank without it attached, but you can see it's a short run.

[​IMG]

5. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

For clarification, I'm not doing an LSx swap. It's a Gen 1 SBC with EFI (MPFI to be specific and I plan to run Holley's HP EFI ecu).

If I can use the 4th gen stuff for the fuel system, that'd be awesome since it looks like a nice solution, but most Gen 1 EFI swaps are designed to run on 43psi not 58psi liek the LSx stuff...right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

6. SHANE 73Z

SHANE 73Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

hutchenc,

I am working on this same thing for my 73 at the moment. The vetteworks kit is something I have been looking at. The LS are using a returnless system, where our setups are more than likely going to have the regulator on the manifold somewhere. That just means we wont be using the GM filter/regulator.

I have been eyeballing the Spectre EFI tank as well. I have had the opportunity to check out the 4th gen sender & I like the design. It should not be nearly as sensitive to fuel starvation.

As for lines, my 73 came from the factory with feed & return lines. 3/8 for the feed & 5/16 for the return.

Shane

7. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

Yeah the 4th Gen deal looks interesting, but it has a regulator on the assembly and it's rated at 58psi.

What would do with that? Just run it up to the rail, use a traditional FPR, then run it right back?

Does the factory tank have a recessed area where the sending unit is? Anyone know the size of the recession (if there is one)?

8. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

Bueler?

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Neither tank has a factory recessed area that I am aware of.

I used the tank I think you need in my 78 Camaro project. There is a thread
    here that I created separate from the project thread to show what I did.

Tom

10. banaro79

banaro79 Veteran Member

Hey check out Tanks Inc thats what I'm running Ive got a dozen runs on the walbro 255 with no starvation my thread has the whole install. Now they have a return built in and they give u your choice of pumps for the type of injection u are using