72 RE SS camaro 47400 miles. opinion needed.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Dan Videoman, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dan Videoman

Dan Videoman New Member

I just got a 72 rs ss auto. 350 dual exhaust also full gauge package. It is in great shape. Was stored for 30 years. All frame floor and unibody parts are rust free, even the rockers! Front fenders and rear 1/4s rust in usual places. All numbers matching car. Even has original tower hose clamps on it yet. Engine and transmission run great. My problem is that it's a puke yellow color and has gold interior and a vinyl top. I want to change the colors and get rid of the vinyl top. Otherwise it will be stock with a little tweeking. Will that lose a lot of value or should I just do it. I want to go to silver and black.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Welcome to Nasty!

Yes, you'll lose value but it's your car now so make it what you want. Personally, I would restore a car like that back to factory. You'll learn to like the colors and the vinyl top once it's done. Not that many factory yellow cars around.

Members here will ask for pics, so be ready.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1137F5CB-8038-469D-9D00-BF5B3E93B67C.jpeg
    I like my puke yellow car......

hubedobeedo, 74Z28GC3 and Joe Shanley like this.
  4. Dan Videoman

Dan Videoman New Member

that color is just not my cup of tea!

5. PaulC

PaulC Member

Here's my take on it. I have a '71 SS/RS 396, Lime Green, paint code 43, with green interior. When I had the car painted many years ago, I wanted to change the color and the interior color. The guy who painted the car was very vocal about keeping the original color since, " I don't see the same color car in the lot across the street, or another one coming down the road, that is the only one I see that color". Needless to say it still has the original color and original interior.

6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Is that the ebay car from a few weeks ago? If it is the paint code was 50-covert tan not 56 cream yellow [I too have a 56 yellow 'z'] I think that car has ALOT of potential!If it is nice buy!!!! It is your car, do what you want.I lived for years with a green mist 70 chevelle/green vinyl top even paid for a total paint in original color even the jambs.I should have painted it a color more appealing to me,I probably would have kept it!! I'm partial to yellow [don't ask me why have been since I was a kid] but it is your car,you can't put a price on regrets.I look at my car and smile,build yours so it makes you smile when you look at it! BTW Welcome to nasty 'z' lot of great guys/gals here!! Later Steve!!

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. Dan Videoman

Dan Videoman New Member

Yes it's the one that was on ebay. It's even better than I thought it was. But I really hate the color and the vinyl top.

8. Dan Videoman

Dan Videoman New Member

It looks yellow to me Also the only reason it has rusty 1\4s and fenders is because before it was put away 30 years ago is because someone ground down those spots to see if there was any rust. They left those spots bare metal for 30 years. but there is rust thru right at the vinyl top on one side.

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I never really cared for vinyl tops on cars,but sometimes you have to put one back on to hide the sins LOL,I still think make it your own,IF you ever sell it I would think that covert tan and odd color top would detract more than add.I know my 70 chevelle would have sold/been more desireable if it was blue or shadow grey even though it was not correct.Not everything has to be resale red! Good luck with your project! I'm glad you're satisfied/happy that's what its all about!! Later Steve!!

10. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

Congrats on getting your new car. I would say to do with it what you want since you will be the one owning and driving it. Speaking for myself I would leave it factory original if it were mine.