72 SS Hurst shifter

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by kamaro kid, Sep 9, 2018.

1. kamaro kid

kamaro kid New Member

Reposting a transmission forum question here since it's resto related. Have a 72 SS396 with Muncie, trying to identify correct shift lever for the GM over-the-counter Hurst shifter, I've seen one with Hurst letters above the bend area and one with letters in the bend area as imaged below. Anybody know what is correct?

Attached Files:

2. greeny

greeny Veteran Member

Your 72 did not come with a Hurst shifter, it came with an ITM. If you do a search in this section your should find a lot of quality information.

3. greeny

greeny Veteran Member

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And the reason you may have a Hurst shifter, is the factory ones were crappy and lots of people changed them to a better, tighter shifter

5. kamaro kid

kamaro kid New Member

Thanks for your replies. I have been told by 2 sources that GM Parts sold a Hurst shifter in 72 with same lever features as the ITM and with Hurst name on lever. Ever heard of that? It MAY have been a carry over from previous year.

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To respond to the original question, the Hurst name would be in the top section , above the bend , if I understood the question. HAA HA , and it's possible that I did't .

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Trans am went on to use the Hurst for a few more years and I do believe they work in a Camaro . An ITM shifter wouldn’t have a Hurst handle as far as I know .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  8. kamaro kid

kamaro kid New Member

Thanks to all for the info.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Correct. The Trans Am used the Hurst shifter into the late 70s or possibly even the early 80s. The ITM shifter was a complete ITM unit so it wouldn't have a Hurst handle. The Hurst shifter was likewise a complete unit with its own shifter. Also, Hurst offered their own version of their shifter for people who tired of fighting with the ITM shifter that never worked as well. Many of the ITM shifters were replaced by the car owners, just as most of the early Muncie shifters in Camaros, Chevelles, and Impalas were replaced by Hurst shifters directly from Hurst.

10. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not up on '72 model's, but here's some old info from our former mystery expert M21RSZ28 showing a Hurst Shifter handle for ALL '72 4Spd Camaro's, with or w/out console's

6 LARGE.PNG

7 LARGE.PNG