73 FireChicken

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Hoot, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Had to prune 600 pics from my image shack account so alot of pics are gone now from my thread. Tried to keep the important stuff.

2. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Troy, where have you been!!! Man???

3. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Looking good Hoot. That scoop fab turned out great!

4. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Im still around. Posting now and then to try and help others. But not really working much on the car. Need to redo some stuff but not in a hurry. Just enjoying driving her around every week or so.

5. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Great to hear Troy, that's what it's all about! ;)

Dave
    :bowtie:

6. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Should have rebuilt my carb when I got it with the engine.....Accelerator pump went bad over winter and was leaking so I had to now.

Throttle response is on a complete new level. Raps up lots quicker too I believe. wow just wow. Im still pumped from that test drive to go get gas and back home :cool:

Pulled carb last night. stripped it down and cleaned it up today in parts washer at work. One float bowl was real dirty with crud. Fuel filter before carb was fine except for a couple pieces of rubber from my pushlok hose. I think the fittings cut into it a little. No other crud but that. So the carb was dirty when I put it in I guess.

Anyway, got it cleaned and put back together. Floats adjusted, secondaries adjusted, floats were off a little. I wanted to put my 3/4" adapter(spread bore to square bore) on instead of the edelbrock adapter plate 1/8" thing. Hood clearance was issure before.

So i cut about 1/4-3/8 off the air cleaner flange. and flattened the top just a bit. Now it all clears with the 3/4" open style adapter. let my carb feed both banks :)

before I had to have my idle mix screws around 3 3/4 turns out to fix a low speed surge. Now 1 turn plus smidgen. And as I said above, the throttle response is a whole new animal !!! :D :D :D Im Happy !!! if ya cant tell lol

Gonna drive it to work tomorrow for another shake down. But im very pleased so far. I had been thinking of swapping my edelbrock for a holley but now I might just keep it..

7. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Had a slight buck going from cost to cruise at highway speeds with the 3/4" open spacer. I tried every adjustment on teh carb I could. So I tried the edelbrock 4 hole 3/4" adapter. 95% took care of the buck but it whistled like nobodies business under acceleration. So I went back to the 1/8" adapter plate thing. Buck completely gone. Car puts around very very nicely. Never had this good of manors around town before. Dont think it has as much acceleration as it did with the taller spacers but its not much difference. Dont think I can do any better with this manifold.

Today I got fed up with a shifter rattle I have had since I built the car. Took the shifter out. Tore it apart, cleaned it up, and regreased it all with red bearing grease. Rattle is GONE !!! Why didnt I do this a year ago ?

Monday I should receive a power steering pulley. The last piece I need before I can build my brackets. Hopefully by next weekend ill have power steering on the car. Going to be a tight fit with my Windstar dual fans though.

Got a couple more things I want to do but not going to start those till the PS is finished.

8. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Nice to hear you're getting it dialed in!

Dave
    :bowtie:

9. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Finished my Power steering install today. Had to move my fans over alittle. The steering box has a big it at the end of it right at 12 o'clock that interfeared with the shrouds. Had to build my own brackets because of all my clearances with the fans also. They turned out really well I think.

anyway its install and bleed. Had to adjust the box a bit. Think I got it really good now. Quite a difference going from 6 turns lock to lock, to 3 turns.

Ill try and get some pics later. My usual camera broke little while back and i need to use the wifes pocket camera. Not sure if it has a card or a cord or what yet LOL. Im not even gonna touch her good camera though.

added pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member